public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Australian Dance Awards 2000
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 4:39 am 

Winners of the 4th Australian Dance Awards were announced 19 November in Sydney.. <P>Outstanding performance by an individual -- Steven Heathcote AM (The Australian Ballet) in "Don Quixote"<BR>The nominees included Benazir Hussein, Vicki Attard, Narelle Benjamin, Melissa Shiel and Bradley Chatfield.<BR> <BR>Outstanding performance by a company -- The Australian Ballet in "In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated"<BR>The nominees included Lucy Guerin Company for Heavy, Sydney Dance Company for Body of Work, West Australian Ballet for Five Tangos, and Carmen and Australian Dance Theatre for Birdbrain.<BR> <BR>Outstanding performance in a stage musical -- Todd Mckenney in "Boy from Oz" (soon to open on Broadway!)<BR>The nominees included Chelsea Gibb for Chicago and the Cast of Chicago.<BR> <BR>Award for dance on film or video -- Margie Medlin for "In the Heart of the Eye" (choreography: Sandra Parker)<BR>The nominees included Potsdamer, Blue Love, Traversing Sense and Stark White.<BR> <BR>Award for services to dance education -- Martin Rubenstein OAM FRAD<BR>The nominees included Ralph Buck, Lucette Aldous, Nanette Hassall, Isobel Anderson and Margaret Markham.<BR> <BR>Award for services to dance -- Julie Dyson (National Executive Officer of of Ausdance since 1985)<BR>The nominees included William Akers, Michelle Potter, Robina Beard and Cheryl Stock.<BR> <BR>Lifetime Achievement Award -- Kira Bousloff OAM (founder of the West Australian Ballet, 1952)<BR>The nominees included Shirley McKechnie, Marilyn Jones, Lucette Aldous and Graeme Murphy.<BR> <BR>Induction into the Hall of Fame of the Australian Dance Awards -- Dame Peggy Van Praagh, 1910 - 1990 (first artistic director of the Australian Ballet).<BR> <BR>Just visit: <A HREF="http://ausdance.anu.edu.au/dancewards" TARGET=_blank>http://ausdance.anu.edu.au/dancewards</A> for more details<P><BR>[This message has been edited by Jennifer (edited November 22, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Jennifer (edited November 22, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Australian Dance Awards 2000
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 6:03 am 

thanks very much jennifer.<P>i think we have a problem in australia inasmuch as these awards were only started a few years back, so we have this huge backlog of people who deserve recognition, and only this little handful of awards going out each year.<P>in several categories above, ALL of the nominees who i know of, richly deserve to win it. and most are getting on in years, some sufficiently so that you can't take for granted they will necessarily be around for next years', and the year after's, and the year after THAT's!<P>it's better than NOT having the awards, i suppose - that is, if you buy into the whole idea of awards...... - but it doesn't seem enough......<P>as an aside, last year i nominated a number of people (who are also nominated above, again, this year, obviously by someone else this time), but none received any awards. NO west australians received awards, and we get pretty used to that here, because the people who make the selections tend to only see what happens on the east coast, so they usually have no basis to appreciate who and what we have here. (this year was different, in that west australian ballet went on an extended regional east coast tour.)<P>so i 'took the hint'. as it's not a quick and easy process to do what's asked of you to make an effective nomination, i didn't bother , when sent the nomination forms this year.<P>so its certainly a surprise to see several west australian short-listed nominees, and two winners.<P>i am curious as to whether companies are allowed to make nominations.....must check that out! also personnel - such as CEO's managers, directors, members of the board, etc.....<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:21 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>One went to Rio, night after night. The other danced up a Spanish storm. And last night, both won Australian Dance Awards for their outstanding performances in two popular shows.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au:80/news/0011/20/text/features12.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au:80/news/0011/20/text/features12.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 6:50 pm 

about janette howard, rather than the awards, (but not worth starting a separate thread for...):<BR> <A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0011/23/national/national25.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au/news/0011/23/national/national25.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2000 2:36 pm 

Oops, I've just noticed that I forgot, accidentally deleted, whatever, the most important award for West Australia:<P>Outstanding choreography by an individual:<BR>Ted Brandsen (Artistic Director of the West Australian Ballet) for "Carmen" <P>

Profile E-mail