public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Creativity Dance
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 3:41 pm 

Image <BR>Mark Morris<P><BR>A quote from a SF Chronicle article about an ad agency seeking the wisdom of Mark Morris in thinking creatively:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>For the cubicle-bound hordes who run companies day-to-day, the dilemma is how to break out of their overused synaptic ruts. Imaginative thinking is particularly valued in advertising (``Think Different''), where creative directors are among the highest-paid executives. <P>Earlier this week, iconoclastic choreographer Mark Morris visited advertising agency FCB/San Francisco to discuss how he applies creativity to his work and to managing his business, New York's Mark Morris Dance Company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/08/12/BU104541.DTL" TARGET=_blank>Read Carol Emert's article</A></B>.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Creativity Dance
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 3:45 pm 

i like this quote very much<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On taking chances: <P>``It's like trying to brush your teeth with your left hand. You might put out your eye, but it's a good exercise.''<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ha ha ha ha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 8:37 pm 

Without knowing what an ad agency might pay a Creativity Expert to consult with their high-salaried executives, it's likely more than most choreographers make for their dances. I think it's funny our contributions are valuable only when someone ELSE stands to profit from creative techniques, tools, and technologies. <P>Maybe it's not so funny. Or surprising. And hey, maybe it's good - there could be a connection to the Retail Dance thread in Other Dance - <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000062.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000062.html</A> - and this is all part of the ad and retail world's non-plan to make everything better through creativity. <P>Kinda makes me wonder about the relationship between cleverness and creativity - I've mostly thought of ads as being clever, not so creative, but that's likely not fair. Just can't help but be a little suspicious. Any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 9:17 pm 

Not a very meaty article though of course. The neatest part were the quotes from M.M. I like the part about how his youngest dancer is 23 - that's cool.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 12:11 am 

This is quite a fun article. The 'sound bytes' are inevitabley superficial, but many dancers in smaller companies wil appreciate this one, I feel. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>On how he chooses his employees: <P> ``It's not just (a question of) you dance great.<BR> It's you dance great, can you read books, are<BR> you a grown-up . . . can you get along with<BR> others and . . . solve your own problems.''<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 10:31 pm 

Absolutely! You pulled out a real gem, angelica. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 7:23 am 

Well, I just love that title, Creativity Expert. Yes, of course, on the corporate level they should make lots and lots and lots of money...<BR>I agree with you, Priscilla. And also regarding ads as being more clever than creative.

Profile E-mail