public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Contemporary Dance Book
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:41 pm 

Press Release: <P>I am writing to announce the publication of a new book from the Banff Centre<BR>Press, "Dancing Bodies, Living Histories: New Writings about Dance and<BR>Culture," edited by Lisa Doolittle and Anne Flynn.<P>"Dancing Bodies, Living Histories" highlights significant new directions in<BR>dance studies, showing how dance leaps across boundaries and divisions<BR>between academic study and cultural practice. The twelve papers represent<BR>dance artists and scholars from across North America:<P>M. J. Thompson, B. J. Wray, Michelle Heffner Hayes, Kristin M. Harris, Sarah<BR>Davies Cordova, Marrie Mumford, Jacqueline Shea Murphy, Cheryl Blood-<BR>(Rides-at-the-) Doore, Thomas F. DeFrantz, Kate Ramsey, Naomi M. Jackson,<BR>Lisa Doolittle and Anne Flynn.<P>"Dancing Bodies, Living Histories" is a powerful volume that links the study<BR>of dance to other disciplines and illuminates the connection between<BR>cultural theory and dance practice. Examining the body, interrogating<BR>choreography and challenging assumptions, each paper is a step toward<BR>understanding the significance of dance to our world and to the study of<BR>humanity.<P>Eminent American dance scholar Susan Leigh Foster has praise for the book<BR>and notes that it "addresses an international readership in dance studies<BR>and histories of the body, bringing a diverse group of scholars and artists<BR>together to think through crucial aspects of dance's significance."<P>Scholars, students and teachers in disciplines as varied as anthropology,<BR>aesthetics, sociology, aboriginal studies, women's studies, culture studies,<BR>film and queer studies will find that Dancing Bodies reaches out and bridges<BR>the divisions between academia and culture. The collection of essays here<BR>encapsulates dance and its studies today. Dancing Bodies, Living Histories<BR>brings a sense of history and culture to the study of dance, and embodied<BR>life to the study of history and culture.<P>For a review copy of "Dancing Bodies, Living Histories," (Banff Centre<BR>Press, September 2000, ISBN 0-920159-69-9, $18.95 CDN, softcover, 278 pages)<BR>simply reply to this email.<P><BR>Contact:<BR>Gwendolynn Gawlick<BR>PRDiva.com<BR>Tel: 604-608-6844<BR>E: gg@prdiva.com<BR>Banff Centre Press: <A HREF="http://www.banffcentre.ab.ca/writing/press" TARGET=_blank>www.banffcentre.ab.ca/writing/press</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Contemporary Dance Book
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 3:04 pm 

have you seen it yet, marie? is it pretty much all deriving from canadian experience/ canadian writers?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Contemporary Dance Book
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 8:42 pm 

No, I haven't seen it at all, as I just got the press release today. I don't know any of the contributors except for Lisa Doolittle who I only know as a Presenter at the Univertsity of Lethbridge in Alberta. It wouldn't surprise me if a large number of them are American.

Profile E-mail