public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dancer's bios/history
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 4:08 pm 

Here is a site that I found. The most interesting thing to me on it was an extensive list of dancer biographies through history.<P>One of the featured bios is Emma Livry, (1842-1863)known as the wet blanket lady. Yes, this is supposedly where the term "wet blanket" came from. Those were the days of candle and gas footlights when many dancers went up in flames, not necessarily due to their passionate performances. Emma Livry was one of them. She refused to have her costume made flame retardant because it turned the fabric yellow. She signed a release to perform because of it. Alas, she burned. Ever since, wet blankets were kept in the wings to prevent future such incidents.<P>Emma was no small time ballerina. Read her bio to find more interesting facts. <A HREF="http://androsdance.tripod.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://androsdance.tripod.com/</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: dancer's bios/history
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 6:26 pm 

Image <P>that's a fancy ballotté, azlan! Image<P>well i never, maggie!<P>i thought i had seen all the "good" ones!<P>what a lovely surprise!<P>this will be a great resource for my AICD "YoungStars" homework resource page that i am making...<P>thank you so much - i really look forward to having a good look around at this site.... Image<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 6:30 pm 

Image <P>thought i'd give dirk andros himSELF a plug, since he's obviously so well worth paying some attention to....<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>THE UNDERBELLY OF BALLET<BR> Mr. Andros is currently working on a<BR> book with the working title The<BR> Underbelly of Ballet:<P> During 12 years of research I have<BR> come across numerous unseemly<BR> acts. When they are looked at<BR> together you have an exposé. It<BR> could make Dancing on My Grave<BR> look like Rebecca of Sunnybrook<BR> Farm. You may ask, 'Why would<BR> you want to write such a book?' I<BR> want to let the discouraged dancers<BR> that were unfairly rejected from<BR> companies or ensembles know that<BR> they are not alone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He also has Articles on various aspects of ballet history and a life spent in ballet, including "Has Ballet Become Track & Field?" !!<P>[Edited by Azlan to correct the photo]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited July 06, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 10:46 am 

I thought you might like that, Grace. I found it charming, informative, and entertaining. Don't you love those figures? I have the little book they're in, it was my mother's who also danced. They didn't move like that in the book though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 5:03 pm 

hey maggie - i also have that book!<P>it was one of my first, and has always been special to me - i guess it appealed to the analytical teacher and notator in me, even then!<P>it is obviously the perfect way to do an animated .gif - i should have thought of it sooner - but i've been wondering, actually, (for a different purpose related to my ballet school) what the copyright position is on this book - it IS very old, but not THAT old (i.e NOT more than 50 years after the death of the creators - for all i know, the creators are still very much alive?).....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 4:16 pm 

dick andros has contacted me with some answers too my queries....and i've had time to have a bit more of a look at his site.<P>i love this dancer who gets into his costume JUST in time to FINISH the step.....(!) Image Image <P>and this one who appears to UNdress at the end of his tour en l'air! <A HREF="http://androsdance.tripod.com/technique/double_tour_en_lair.gif" TARGET=_blank>http://androsdance.tripod.com/technique/double_tour_en_lair.gif</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 15, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 4:19 pm 

I like this page very much. We laughed and laughed. I hope this works because I've never tried to do a link before. <A HREF="http://androsdance.tripod.com/features/best_of_the_androsisms.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://androsdance.tripod.com/features/best_of_the_androsisms.htm</A>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 11:00 am 

Can one contact Mr. Andros through this site?<BR>I was a student of his in 1979-1981 and would like to say hello.<P>david

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 12:28 pm 

I've got the book too! It's brilliant to see these very familiar pictures come alive!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 1:32 pm 

Hello, drhii, and welcome.<P>Yes, Dirk Andros' email address is listed on that web site. If you can't find it there, you can ask Grace or myself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 4:59 am 

drhii - yes - dick's email is somewhere at the top of his homepage (i admit i had to be told where to find it). i am quite sure he would be pleased to hear from you, as he wrote back to me with enthusiasm, when contacted. best wishes, drhii - and i hope you'll visit our site again..... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2000 12:54 pm 

I am the webmaster for the Andros on Ballet site (androsdance.tripod.com). I have made some navigation changes to make it a little easier to find things. Also Mr. Andros' e-mail address has changed (Microsoft bought his ISP and the service was so bad he switched to AOL). If any of you can poke around the site and let me know if there are problems, I would appreciate it.<P>Thank you for your interest in our site.<P>Michael

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2000 4:34 pm 

basheva, michael minn (dick andros' webmaster 'androsweb') asked that i delete the new topic, and move your post in here. here it is. <B>basheva</B> posted:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It is an interesting site, Andros - and I saw criticaldance.com on there, too. <P>I looked at your Androisms - and most of them were very familiar LOL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2001 6:37 pm 

Hello Grace and Azlan,<P>Thank you for your responses. I will retry and email to Mr. Andros as I see his email address changed around the time I tried to send something to him. <P>Will give it another shot. . .<P>tx, drhiii

Profile E-mail