public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dancer attacked by cougar
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 11:12 am 

I heard about this Dirk, but I haven't found any information either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:53 pm 

I have been to Banff and for the arts festival - it is a spectacularly beautiful place. I saw lots of elk - but thankfully no cougars. <P>We had such an event just east of San Diego too. I did a search on Google for the dancer Frances Frost - but nothing was listed. I wonder if she was with a company previously.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited January 06, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:15 am 

There is a section of Banff Centre for the Arts on residencies, which doesn't mention her.<P>You might be able to check the Calgory Herald or Banff Crag & Canyon News for more information.<P>The victim, Frances Frost, was identified solely as a 30-year-old cross-country skier (no mention of dance background). She was skiing alone at about 1:00 p.m. on 1/02/01 on Cascade Fire Road, part of the Lake Minnewanka Loop, in Banff National Park, when the cougar leapt onto her back and bit her neck. The Park Chief Warden surmised that Ms. Frost, in all likelihood, never knew what hit her. A healthy adult male cougar was later shot by wardens where Ms. Frost was found. <P>It was the first death by cougar in the history of the park, as well as in Alberta. For those considering a visit to this area in the future, it should be noted that elk, the main prey of wolves and cougars, have moved closer to Banff because hunting is not allowed in national park. Thus, the wolves and cougars have abandoned their natural wariness of people and moved closer to the townsite to get at their food source (the elk).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 1:27 pm 

When I was in Banff - the elk were right in the downtown area. I saw one eating roses in the front yard of a house just off the main street. And I suppose where the elk go the cougar follows.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:55 am 

Dirk, we have cougars here in our town just 40 miles n.w. of Denver. I've seen them several times over the years. That is *in town* not on the outskirts. We also have deer population the way other people have squirrels, and they certainly do follow the food source.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 5:25 pm 

so dirk - since i can't contribute anything about her dance career - has something happened to deplete the poor cougar's natural food source this year?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:05 am 

aah....thanks,.... dirk....i think...... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:12 am 

Re: the poor cougar's food source... <P>I think these problems may be attributable to a new mutation of cougar, termed the "Vorielli" strain. The most salient aspect of this new breed is its inappropriate behavior which has nothing to do with thousands of years of history preceding it.