public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Makes a Performance a Performance?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:03 am 

passing on a message:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am a third year dance student at De Montfort University and I am currently <BR>messing with ideas for my dissertation. <P>I am interested in what makes a performance a performance and in particular from a dancers point of view and/or a choreographers on the process involved.<P>If anyone would like to tell me of their personal experiences or of where I can find infomation I would be very grateful.<BR>Thankyou<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>email to: rintyrobinson16@hotmail.com<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 24, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What Makes a Performance a Performance?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 6:02 pm 

Am I right in assuming that you don't want a reply here, Grace- but that we should E-Mail a reply?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 3:09 am 

yes, basheva -sorry if that wasn't clear..just trying to help out the student....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:49 am 

This is the answer that I sent:<P>I saw your question posted at criticaldance.com - and I will attempt an answer. I use the word attempt because I think that each of us may have a different view - just as we view performances differently.<P>A performance is something that is staged, usually involving movement of some kind (dance, playing an instrument, singing, drama) that tries to make a connection through the senses betwist performer and audience. The audience can consist of any number of people from one to infinity. I did not include any of the graphic arts such as painting, because that is a gallery showing, an exhibit, which is not a performance. To my mind performance means some kind of movement, the performer being a live being - even though it may be on tape - in the original sense the performer is alive.<P>Basheva<P>

Profile E-mail