public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "The Rings of Saturn"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:21 am 

<B>The Rings of Saturn propels hidden desires into unrestrained dance</B><BR>By VICTOR DWYER<BR>Globe Television<P>Television and dance have a long and profitable history together. Television sets had barely found a berth in living rooms when American Bandstand redefined teenage Saturday mornings. Today, that tradition is carried on by MuchMusic’s Electric Circus. And of course there’s the past two decades of MTV videos, in which everyone from Rod Stewart to Macy Gray has gyrated their latest hits into our consciousness in four-minute, never-ending clips.<P>But TV and real dance — the kind that people spend years at the barre perfecting — that’s another matter entirely. Who, after all, would be audacious or foolhardy enough to devote prime-time airwaves to the stuff that classical and contemporary companies do before generally tony — and almost always tiny — live audiences? <P>We now have an answer: the CBC and Bravo!, who have come together to finance and air The Rings of Saturn, an ambitious selection of new works by renowned choreographer Robert Desrosiers. Starring a raft of dance luminaries, including Rex Harrington, Greta Hodgkinson and Julia Aplin, it also features some pretty deft two-stepping by one performer known more for her TVQ than her way around a dance floor: Sonja Smits. <P>----------------------------------------<BR>Go to <A HREF="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tv" TARGET=_blank><B>Globe Television</B></A>, then click on the link to this article found on the page.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Malcolm Tay (edited January 29, 2002).]

Post subject: Re: "The Rings of Saturn"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:47 am 

The rest of this story didn't come up for me....sigh.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>before generally tony — and almost always tiny — live audiences?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I am not sure I would agree about that. Just how 'tiny' is tiny? Is the audience really tiny for dance?<P>As a participant of the original Bandstand in Philadelphia (when it first began!) - I don't feel especially 'tony' when I go to the ballet. <P>What constitutes 'tony'? <P><BR>

Profile E-mail