public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dancing In Your Sleep
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 11:21 am 

I have a recurring dance dream:<P>I'm warming up in a studio for a performance, then I go and put on my makeup. After I've done this, I realize I have no idea what the choreography is that I'm supposed to be doing because I've forgotten it! I ask another girl to show me the first few steps because I'm supposed to go on in a few minutes but she's irritated and tells me that she doesn't have time, she has to warm up. I try to explain that I have to go on first and I need to know what I'm doing! That's usually where it ends.<P>I'm not looking for an analysis, but I'm just wondering, does anyone else have weird dance dreams, good or bad?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dancing In Your Sleep
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 12:01 pm 

Yup, lol. A variation thereof.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 12:24 pm 

I once saw a series of programmes on BBC TV called 'Actors talking'. One section was about dreams and not being able to remember their lines was a recurrent theme. One successful actress, Eleanor Bron had a variation on this - she got lost between her dressing room and the stage.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 2:03 pm 

I have a recurring dream that I am getting ready for class. Class is about to start and I am scared of being late (I was never late in 30 yrs.) and I am running and putting up my hair - and then I can't find the hairpins.<P>And then I can't quite find my shoes - and it just goes on and on.<P>However, for the three years that I didn't dance due to my injury, I would have a recurring dream that I am in class and trying desperately to jump. I want to do grand jete' - but I can't split the jump - legs won't open. Or I can't do the beats - legs are glued together, or people are bumping into me, and finally I just burst into tears. For three years I woke up night after night in tears - real tears. <P>So I decided last spring to go back to class - that I was ready to do that. So the crying dream stopped immediately - but now I am back to the "can't get my hair pinned up and can't find my shoes" dream - LOL<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 11:30 pm 

Yes, it's not uncommon for dancer friends to call me up in a panic because of a nightmare they had about forgetting steps or being thrown into a work they know nothing about. It's also interesting how much it takes sometimes to calm them down.<P>I also am a believer that you can control your dreams. Once when I started dreaming about falling off a cliff, I remembered next time to just enjoy the ride since it was only a dream. Instead of waking up drenched in sweat, I woke up the next morning eager to give it another go...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 6:09 am 

Azlan, does that have anything to do with diving off the cliffs in Acapulco and losing your swim trunks?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 7:23 am 

Obviously it does, Maggie. He wants to do it again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:56 am 

Whatta thread. I have one dream I love. I'm a runner. Except I don't run like regular runners. I do nothing but a series of grand jetes. They have a floating quality. They're slower than everyone else running, but because they cover so much ground, I'm faster. There's wonderful feeling of suspension in the air, like bouncing from one split jump into the next. They usually take place in the neighborhood where I grew up, near my grammar school and high school, but I don't know why.<P>Then there's the nightmare stage dream. I'm in the actual troupe I used to be in. I'm going to date myself a bit when I tell you that one of our costumes consisted of fishnet stockings under white vinyl boots, along with a Danskin (scratchy) white turtle neck leotard, and over that a red and white polka dot vest. The idea was to look very collegiate. <P>In my dream, I know the call "places" is about to come on. I haven't yet put in my contact lenses. My hair and makeup aren't ready. And I'm always missing part of my outfit -- usually the white boots. Then -- somehow, when I'm on stage, it seems I've been away from the troupe for awhile, and I've completely forgotten the routines, which is bizarre because I was the dance captain and taught/rehearsed them. The director, of course, is always visible in the audience, which makes the whole scenario much more terrifying. When I wake up, I always think, "why were you upset about this -- this was just a lot of schlock you got yourself into after you screwed up your acting audition for Julliard and thought that was the end of your repertory career -- you should have quit this garbage troupe long before you did no matter how great everybody said it was." Ohmigosh, I've just given myself therapy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:11 am 

I used to work for a large group of psychiatrists and at lunch one day they all got to talking about dreams. <P>Dreams that are recurring do indeed have meaning. A recurring dream about a large ocean wave, for instance, that is about to overwhelm you, usually means that there is something in your life that you feel is overwhelming. It may not be "actual" but your subconscious perceives it that way. I find that when that happens to me, if I alter that "thing" the dream goes away.<P>A dream such as being in a tight place - a room - or caught in a tunnel, etc. - usually means that's exactly how your subconscious perceives something that is happening in your life - you are trapped in some situation. You are doing something you really don't want to do. That is different from being "overwhelmed".<P>As for dreaming about a childhood home: the psychiatrists said that is quite normal. Our minds consider home to be where we first left our babyhood and commenced mid childhood - around 7-12 yrs. old. It doesn't matter if this was unhappy - it's where the subconscious thinks of as "home". <P>As for the dreams of being late to rehearsal, or class, or forgetting the steps, etc., our subconscious was worried about this, even though it never happened. I dream a lot that I can't find my car in a parking lot - it has never happened - but for some reason my subconscious is worried about that. <P>The subconscious is not the seat of reason and as, Christina says, you can counter its worries with reason....but since it is not amenable to reason it doesn't always work.<P>Another thing the psychiatrists said, and this is in line with what Azlan said, is that if you have a scary dream - like something is chasing you, turn around and confront it. It's your dream and your subconscious will not allow you to be hurt. <P>My husband had a recurring dream (for many, many years) that there was something in the basement of the house that was monstrous and would chase him. He traced it back to a coal cellar in a house where he was a very small child - and he had a natural child's fear of the dark cellar. However, after he traced it back to what was the real cause of the dream, just a dark cellar - the dream never came back. So you do have some control.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 2:45 pm 

Lately I keep dreaming that I'm in class and we're jumping (simple little changement jumps etc - I'm still a beginner) and I can't get back down to the floor!!!! I sort of float and try to get down and can't and get very panicky and can't breathe right. In reality I don't like jumping that much - I feel like I can't get up high enough or really stretch out my body. Anyone care to have a crack at that one? (chuckling)<BR>Danni Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 4:55 pm 

Well, I finally got the trunks thing figured out by the third try.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:04 pm 

LOL Azlan, are you sure??<BR>I do have recurring dreams about dance... along with others. no comment about detail, lol...<BR> Image<BR>-Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:04 pm 

Azlan - I hate to ask this - but - is your post in response to Danni's question about "taking a crack at this one?"<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:21 pm 

that's just <I>nasty</I>! Image<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 4:51 am 

I always have this dream where I rush on stage in the middle of a dance I've never seen before in my life. I keep thinking to myself "dear god woman, what are you doing? get off get off GET OFF, you'll make a fool of yourself!!" because obviously, I don't know the choreography nor the other dancers. I work myself into an amazing fit of panic trying to do their steps, completely unable to force myself off stage. Then it occurs to me maybe, just maybe, I should make myself look like I'm not supposed to be doing what everyone else is.<BR>Then the whole stage fills with water and the dream ends.<P>I challenge someone to find an intepretation that is NOT the obvious.<P>Oh Christina, you bought tears to my eyes with your dream because it reminded me of a child I know, who once 'ran' a whole race doing the 7 year old equivalent to grand jetes because she thought that's how people ran...<P>PS. Basheva, lets hope people don't start getting Freudian about your reference to a dark tunnel....<p>[This message has been edited by Katharyn (edited January 09, 2001).]

Profile E-mail