public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Olympic Gymnasts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:33 pm 

i couldn't care less about the olympics!<P>there: i've said it!<P>however, it's 'everywhere' at present...<P>the only section i ever find of interest is the 'women's' ('girls') gymnastics...<P>having watched intermittently over the last few days, i am pretty much dumbstruck by how miserable they all look....<P>fabulous feats of power and bodily control - but the mental control is either missing (in the sense of being able to give a spirited performance and/or enjoy) or else it is so ever-present that it robs the performance of human charm....<P>another perspective might be that it really underscores the difference between dance and sport: here, all that matters is how many turns, how perfect the finish position, not going outside the lines, etc....no matter at what cost, in terms of human appeal of warmth or audience-connection ....<P>'looking' attractive doesn't matter...apparently - most of the time. <P>very rare moments - lisa skinner's rather turkish floor routine with dance movement 'quality' and real smiles come to mind- as giving us a little 'life'. <P>the rest is just tricks - to me....sure they are clever tricks, demanding tricks, hard work, requiring every ounce of concentration...<P>but they are as COLD as can be...and leave me cold...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Olympic Gymnasts
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 10:05 pm 

I used to be impressed by the women's gymnastics, but revelations about the health problems, which seem worse than those associated with ballet, mean that I do not watch now. I can remember when it performed by adult women. Last time I did look, there were 17 year olds who looked as though they were 13.<P>In Eastern Europe training seemed to go to terrible lengths and with horrific injuries. <P>Rhythmic gymnastics (don't know if it is in the current Olympics) has some nice sections - I'm really keen on the ribbon section. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 22, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 1:13 am 

maybe you should have had a look this time, stuart - one striking feature is the range of body types now - not just petite little dolls, as in the past...<P>there are only a few of those. some are extremely muscular and powerful. one, who seems to be an audience favourite, khorkina, is long-legged and tallish-looking (i'm sure she's not tall, but her leg length makes her look that way).<P>but, dearie me, those facial expressions! <P> Image <- yes - that IS a picture of one!<P>i certainly agree with the general point, stuart, which is one reason i cannot take any of it (the olympics) seriously - the drug use is so prevalent, and such a cultivated artform now, that there are no guarantees this competition says anything at all about comparative human athletic abilities...more about comparative human risk-taking and deceitful abilities...so i see no point in it at all. a huge farce.<P>i used to enjoy that ribbon stuff - don't know if they do it now, or not..anyone else know?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 4:39 pm 

hasn't anyone else been watching this?!? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 9:59 pm 

Well - the "tall" one from Russia who had a terrible time (the vault being two inches too short didn't help) is actually 5'4", which to me really does mean they are still pretty small. And I've recently read or heard that Rumanian children begin their training away from home at age six - compare THAT to our discussions of when and how dancers begin training. Their parents visit a couple of times per year, and it was portrayed as a way for the little girls to escape poverty.<BR>Oh - and ALSO how the different sports shape bodies - looking at the swimmers (even within different events) and then the divers and the gymnasts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 10:08 pm 

Oh I thought I was done with CD for the night, but then ran across this article on the FEMALE gymnastics. Is it "Female" and "Mens" or what? And why is it the ages of the men's team haven't dropped? <P>Ah - that should be all for tonight. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 10:10 pm 

Duh - it's definitely late. Here's the link I meant to put in there<BR> <A HREF="http://www.salon.com/news/sports/olympics/2000/09/22/gymnastics/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.salon.com/news/sports/olympics/2000/09/22/gymnastics/index.html</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 12:20 am 

Priscilla, my impresion, based on <u>even</u> less knowledge than usual, is that Men's gymnastics is based on power (and lots of it) as well as balance etc and thus a peak s reached in the early 20's with experience carrying them through for a period. <P>Turning to the women, I can remember in the old days with Nelly Kim etc. when there was a discusson about gymnasts and tumblers (the young ones). Basically the tumblers have taken over. It's mucn easier to do a lot of the moves if you're little, all over. I still find the injury risks scarier than in almost any other sport I know.<P>The things I want to see are rarely on TV ie sailing and table tennis. However, velodrome cycle racing really is the biz.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 23, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 12:26 am 

priscilla, i may well be telling you something you already know, but the thing about these little girls/teens is: for females the optimal 'power to weight ratio' occurs pre-puberty, from about age 10........which explains their young ages. an older woman, with any normal body fat, hormones, all the rest of it, is NOT more powerful, relative to her body mass.<P>whereas for the males, it's a different deal - i'm not so well-informed about male strength development, but i think it's pretty much 'onward and upward' at least till about 35 or so...<P>btw, it's been impressive that there ARE some older athletes in these games - one woman and two men i noticed are 42..maybe there always have been - i never pay much attention..<P>getting back to the blond khorkina (the one who is 5'4" - thanks for that Image ) - she presents an interesting difference to the usual body for THIS sport - her long legs would mean she requires more strength training in the 'centre' to handle these appendages; they would raise her torso, relative to the floor, and relative to an apparatus like the vault - but they would also raise her centre of gravity....it's all physics!<P>glad someone else knew what i was talking about..anyone else have a view on this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 12:42 am 

grace's comments about power to weight ratio in women, makes good sense in relation to my memory of the takeover by the mini-tumblers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 2:58 pm 

Yes I've been watching the female gymnasts...I really wish the Romanians would smile already...I only knew they could when I saw them together hugging...I was amazed!! I sadly guess this doesn't matter becasue it appears that the Romanians are going to win all the major medals...sigh!<BR>Shocking turn of events..everyone (women) kept wiping out/falling during their vaulting routines...then it was discovered that the entire apparatus was adjusted/set at the wrong level for competition...so they went back and asked all the gymnasts that had gone if they would like to try again!! What a mess! It made the whole thing look very slipshod!!<BR>My favorite was the Australian gal...I can't remember her name...grace mentioned her earlier...she was very balletic and had lots of personality...her choreography for floor exercise really stood out!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 4:05 pm 

i think that would be lisa skinner, trina - the 'turkish' sort of floor routine dance...<P>well, by now you know the romanians DID win - like you, i only saw them smile when they hugged each other afterwards.....same with svetlana khorkina who everyone seemed to like....she only smiled at the VERY end, after winning the gold medal....<P>wonder why the gymnasts from every country were all so facially grim this year - is there a new rule against smiling, or something?!?<P>that aspect rather spoiled the pleasure of watching for me...

Profile E-mail