public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ADF: American Dance Festival
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:08 pm 

DJB....what were the classes like that you took? Did you take any classes from Lucas Hoving? He was a wonderful, warm, inspiring peson. Although I only crossed paths with him a couple of times, he was a magical guy. His autobiographical, evening-length solo "Growing Up in Public" (co-choreographed with Remy Charlip), which I saw at Brooklyn Academy of Music YEARS ago, was truly one of the greatest theatrical experiences of my life. He was one of those rare dancers who could just lift his arm, and make it incredibly dramatic. Of course, being 6'5 or whatever didn't hurt either.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:30 pm 

Trina, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was out of town and just started looking at what was posted while I was away. No, I didn't have any classes at ADF with Lucas Hoving -- just part of a class at the audition. In fact, I don't even remember whose classes I took at ADF, although I remember the studio very well, for some reason.<P>My impression of Lucas Hoving from my brief interaction with him was that he was very kind. After informing me that I didn't get chosen because I was too tall, he talked with me a bit and tried to encourage me to keep plugging away and not get discouraged, that eventually I would find a niche. I think he thought I was younger than I was (30). I didn't tell him I'd already had about all the discouragement I could take and had actually quit dancing several months before, because I thought it was really very nice of him to take the time to talk to me, and he seemed genuinely concerned.<P>For the record, he wasn't 6'5" -- I would have remembered it had he been that much taller than I am. But he was tall.<p>[This message has been edited by djb (edited July 27, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:46 am 

A moving festival
By Jean Battey Lewis for The Washington Times

The American Dance Festival, celebrating its 70th anniversary in Durham, N.C., this summer, is at the heart of this country's lively contemporary dance scene.

The beginnings of ADF, its performances and summer training program, were modest, but they loom large in the development of modern dance.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:49 am 

Stories by <I>The Kansas City Star</I>'s Paul Horsley on being at this year's ADF:

Quote:
<B>Music and dance notes: Gotta dance!</B>
07/27/2003

This summer, dance and I went to the mat at the American Dance Festival in Durham, N.C., where I took part in a program called the Institute for Dance Criticism.

There I grasped that I wasn't alone -- that no one in America danced enough. And that we think and talk far too little about dance. We have relegated it to the category of frivolity.
<a href="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/entertainment/visual_arts/6368890.htm" target=_blank>More...</a>

Quote:
Dancing into a murky, but fertile, millennium</B>
07/27/2003

This season, the ADF's 70th, included Chinese and Indian dance and French angst, the latter in the form of the 1960s-flavored genre known as "European dance theater." There was butoh -- the glacially paced, post-World War II Japanese form that began as an expression of the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And there was Bill T. Jones, whose controversial political pieces from the 1980s and early '90s (like the AIDS-inspired "Still/Here") continue to spark debate.
<a href="http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/entertainment/visual_arts/6359596.htm" target=_blank>[b]More...</a>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:42 pm 

Byron Woods' two-part ADF wrap-up in <I>The Independent Weekly</I>:

Quote:
Last dance, part one

Had I only seen the opening night of the International Choreographers' Commissioning Program concert, the story would have been a lot different. The changes seen the second time around provided a telling reminder that critics with the earliest view of a new work don't always have the best or the final one.
<a href="http://indyweek.com/durham/2003-07-23/ae.html" target=_blank>More...</a>

Quote:
Last dance, part two

During a June 28 Reynolds Theater tribute to Stephanie Reinhart, the ADF co-director who succumbed to leukemia last September, her daughter Ariane said on stage, "I don't think she's gotten where she's going yet."
<a href="http://indyweek.com/durham/current/ae.html" target=_blank>More...</a>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:46 pm 

Malcolm, one question: did "Evidence", Ron Brown's company perform at ADF this year? If so, what rep did they do? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:33 pm 

Hey trina! Ron Brown's company didn't perform as part of the main house season. I don't have my notes with me, but I believe Brown gave masterclasses and his company gave less formal concerts (on Duke campus) -- which, unfortunately, I didn't manage to attend. Hope this answers your question. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:51 pm 

Huh, I'm surprised they didn't perform more in the formal season. I consider Brown to be one of the leading American, modern choreographers on the scene.

<small>[ 04 August 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: trina ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:14 pm 

Pilobolus to open American Dance Festival
BY CYNTHIA GREENLEE-DONNELL : The Herald-Sun

DURHAM -- The American Dance Festival opens here today, with many of its 300 summer students pouring into town and a performance from one of its stalwarts, Connecticut-based Pilobolus Dance Theatre.

The 2004 ADF performance schedule is a monthlong slate of more than 40 performances showcasing 17 companies from Argentina, Israel, Russia and across the United States.

More than a dozen of those troupes have never performed at the festival. But Pilobolus has performed at the festival every year since 1973, when the festival resided at Connecticut College in New London. It moved to Durham and Duke University in 1978.

click for more

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:09 am 

Quote:
Asians Developing Skills in Western Styles Like Ballet, Tap and Flamenco

By ANNA KISSELGOFF
The New York Times
July 3, 2004

It was not the first time that Ms. Houlihan had taught modern dance abroad for the festival, but this is the first time there has been a direct exchange with Mongolia.
more

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:15 am 

Quote:
A Trip Around the World, in North Carolina
by JACK ANDERSON for the New York Times

Each year Charles L. Reinhart, the festival's director, invites promising young choreographers from around the world to stage new works in Durham, where they are performed by students from the festival's school. This year's choreographers were Charlotte Griffin, a North Carolinian; Anouk van Dijk, from the Netherlands; and Martinus Miroto, from Indonesia. They created impressive ensemble pieces for large casts.

published: July 20, 2005
more...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am 

Quote:
American Dance Festival Presents Choreographers From Worlds Apart
by JOHN ROCKWELL for the New York Times

The embrace includes not just performances by dance companies from this and many other countries but also a strong international component in the hundreds of student dancers who participate in each six-week summer session.

published: July 19, 2006
more...

Profile E-mail