public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Opening Ceremony - 2000 Olympics
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 11:09 pm 

THAT bit actually struck me too, azlan. there is no way that kid was up there WITHOUT a signed release form from her parents. believe me!<P>i can only assume she meant that they knew no details of her choreography (aerial or otherwise).....don't worry! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 8:39 pm 

This really has nothing to do with dance (even if there is a reference to a barn dance) but it has something to do with the Olympics and the Internet (or lack thereof for some):<P><BR>John Crumpacker, SF Examiner<BR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/examiner/archive/2000/09/19/SPECIAL11650.dtl" TARGET=_blank>A dinosaur rears its ancient head at Press Center</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:04 am 

Azlan, get some sleep.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:04 pm 

Yes, mommie.<P>BTW, are there any dance-related sports in the Summer Olympics? For the Winter Olympics, there's ice-dancing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 4:09 pm 

mommie DEAREST. Synchronized swimming?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:03 pm 

And Dressage (equestrian ballet) and the floor exercises in women's gymnastics and rhythmic gymnastics. The ribbon dance element in the latter is really good. Momix have a similar section in 'Passion'.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:07 am 

also see this thread for info & discussion on the CLOSING ceremony:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000201.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000201.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 7:30 pm 

In answer to your question Grace--I enjoyed the dance in the opening ceremony, but I also thought the singers were sub-standard and their songs poor. I watched the event on a big screen at a party where I didn't hear any of the comments about the show. Nevertheless, my Aussie upbringing helped me understand the imagery. <P>I didn't really stop to ask myself what others around the world thought of the Ned Kellies, the wrought iron sheets used as props, the bails of wool, the lawn mowers (that we invented), the water tanks (still used in the country) and so on, because I found the show entertaining and patriotic. Dance carried the whole event, as far as I'm concerned. One couldn't really expect non-dancers to carry off such impeccable formations over several hours. And even if they did, it's thanks to choreographers for getting the show on the road.<P>The tap dance segment--I found Dein Perry's tap dance segment exciting and indicative of the down-to-earth Aussie style and energy our artists and athletes’ ooze. I’m curious to see what his new movie “Bootmen” will be like.<P>You might say I'm enjoying the Olympics because I'm a Sydney-sider, and you're probably right when it comes to the sporting events, but where the opening ceremony's concerned I simply enjoyed it for what it was; Sydney’s introduction to the 27th Olympic Games. Australia is so far away from the rest of the world, what option do we have but to use every opportunity to show the world who we are and what we represent? Sure, we don’t all mow the lawn on Sunday, track down the backyard to the lavatory, build garden sheds behind the house to store our lawn mowers or shear sheep on a regular basis. But we do have an outdoor life as a rule and we do love to move our bodies (be it through sport or dancing) -if we’re not downing a pint of beer beside a barb-b-cue. Why not show the world some facets or our culture? And why not take the risk that the rest of the world may not like our ceremony. Aren’t there enough people out there more concerned with pleasing the masses than they are with making a statement that is true to there own beliefs?<P>I’m apologise if I've rambled Image<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 11:44 pm 

gosh - you just got THAT one in before it was too late, didn't you? Image - less than 24 hours before the CLOSING ceremony!<P>to avoid any confusion, i am closing this thread now, so the CLOSING CEREMONY thread can take over - IF there is any more discussion....<P>please go to: <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000201.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000201.html</A> <P> Image

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2