public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Opening Ceremony - 2000 Olympics
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 5:53 pm 

The atmosphere here in Sydney is incredibly exciting at the moment. Today -15 September, 2000 -is the opening ceremony of the 2000 Olympic Games and after 2 dress rehearsals, where viewers and participators alike were sworn to secrecy, we are all holding our breath for what's to come. <P>I've heard that, on the dance front, Sydney's dynamite all-round performer, David Atkins, choreographed the show with the help of Dean Perry (Tap Dogs), Meryl Tankard (formerly of Pina Bausch's Wuppertal Tanz Theater and Australia Dance Theatre), Stephen Page (Bangarra) and that the event promises to be a magnificent experience. I just wish I could afford to be there! Tickets are no less than AUD$500+ for the not so great seats and AUD$1300+ for better ones. Some people are even selling their own tickets for double their value.<P>Maybe you can stay tuned to your televisions as the event unfolds. Happy Watching!<P>------------------<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited September 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Opening Ceremony - 2000 Olympics
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 7:42 pm 

jennifer, i find the olympics one big bore!<P>but i could see from the TV news last night that sydney is well carried away, already: lovely to see the opera house, bridge and harbour yet again lit up in a novel way. how many more surprises in that vein can there be? especially after those magnificent 'abseiling or whatever they were rollerblading on the opera house sails-dancers' on new year's eve 2000!<P>it's gotta be novel when we don't have a word for it, eh?<P>presumably you'll be watching on TV like me? i really don't WANT to, but it seems like sacrilege to be so disinterested!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2000 10:19 pm 

Good to see that there is some real talent in the choreographic line-up. It's a similar arrangement to the Millenium Dome central show, which is the one part of the Dome experience that everyone enjoys. For the Dome it was people previously associated with London Contemporary Dance Company, the foremost UK modern dance company in the 80s.<P>Hope it works as a showcase for what Australia can do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 3:36 pm 

OK jen, i watched it - for the whole four & a half hours! <P>can't believe i sat there for that long - though i have no trouble sitting at the computer for that long! <P>what to say? well, the little girl was excellent!<P> Image <P>julie anthony can sing, that's for sure - but i thought none of the others had voices that were strong enough for the task. i can appreciate olivia newton-john, and i thought she looked beautiful, and showed a nice warm spirit - but again, a voice that is not completely suited to such a huge size arena - which brings me to 'arena': tina, that is...<BR>she was OK, but i found the other young singer really embarrassing...weak and unsuitable (and wearing a horrible suit!). i'm afraid it made me think she must be related to someone!.....<P>john farnham is apparently - so i'm told - a nice guy...but he has never appealed to me as a singer.<P>that damned fountain/torch thing! how cringeful for cathy freeman! Image for those who didn't see it, it was spectacular, quite magnificent, the culmination of the whole thing when the torch was lit - and the mechanics appear to have seized up, and the darn thing wouldn't MOVE -as it was supposed to - progressing uppwards to the heavens.<P>when it finally DID happen, after an embarrassing delay for poor cathy freeman standing there, wet thru, cold and trying to look triumphant - it WAS worth the wait, but oh there must have been some VERY upset people there last night!<P>the 'dance' i actually have trouble getting a grip on what WAS the dance? there was lots of formation/pattern stuff: wildflower shapes, human map of australia, etc.<P>the tap section was tap - easily identifiable, but i thought not really necessary....the irish dance sction was even more superfluous (IMO)... the aboriginal stuff was the really appropriate dance content, i suppose. i liked the wandjina.<P> Image <P>i might venture to suggest that for me, the lighting was the star of the show!<P>what did you think ofit all, jennifer? (and anyone else?)<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited September 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 5:03 pm 
Did Sylvie Guillem appear in the opening ceremony, as someone on Ballet.co mentioned?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 6:17 pm 

no, no - kevin....someone is confused!<P>there is an olympics ARTS festival which has been running over the last two weeks in sydney - guillem is here for that. she is not involved in the olympics, per se!<P>maybe i'll go see that post at ballet.co!<P>hey, bill gates was there, though! does that count?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2000 6:18 pm 

i don't mean bill gates was IN it - just he was there..i saw him on the TV in the audience...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 6:55 am 

an editorial from sydney morning herald, with some interesting background on the opening ceremonies, and a brief comment about the dance....<BR> <A HREF="http://www.smh.com.au/news/0009/16/text/editorial.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.smh.com.au/news/0009/16/text/editorial.html</A><P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited September 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 11:58 am 

From SF Chronicle:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Australians staged a strange and wonderful Opening Ceremony for the 2000 Olympic Games yesterday that took us to the Thunderdome and beyond. Now we know why they call this place Oz.<P>...<P>It was simply the best Opening Ceremony in at least 20 years, and maybe ever. More than 100,000 amazed spectators witnessed the coolest music, the most incredible dance numbers and the most original lighting of the Olympic flame this side of Juan Antonio Samaranch. In short, it was what the Orange Bowl halftime would be if they had as much talent as money.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/16/MN113611.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B><p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited September 16, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 12:11 pm 

That's quite a write-up Azlan and generous to boot, given the recent US claims.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:56 am 

i read this morning that the budget for the opening ceremony was Aust $50 million!<P>and originally it had not been planned to pay the performers - i.e. the cast of thousands. but the unions for the singers and dancers negotiated standard rates for the ptrofessional performers. i assume all the kids and physical education students and so on were not paid.<P>---------------------------------------------------------<P><B><BIG>kim shipp</BIG></B> <BR>posted the following, under the heading <B>"Play-by-play coverage of the Arts"</B>, in another thread, sept 16:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>At the Olympics Opening Ceremonies last night, Bob Costos and Katie Curric offered a play-by-play description of the theatre, dance, and acrobatic spectacluar. So funny to hear them tell what is happening on stage and its symbolism -"this is supposed to symbolize ...that represents...this is supposed to mean.." It made me wonder what dance would be like with these extended and live program notes :-) and if the general public gets the impression that if they didn't get that, they didn't get it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited September 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:03 am 

For those like me who didn't see the Opening Ceremony, The Guardian has a <P><A HREF="http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/gallery/galleryguide/0,6143,368910,00.html" TARGET=_blank><B> page of photos</B></A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited September 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:04 am 

in response to kim's post (above) just moved from the other thread: <P>well, kim, being in australia, we didn't get that sort of commentary because of course<BR> we're supposed to KNOW!<P> i certainly understand your comments, and can well imagine how necessary it may have<BR> been.<P> personally i feel it went way too far into internationally unreadable imagery - because<BR> after all, it IS meant to be an international show. <P> certainly there are never any doubts that it IS going to entertain many millions<BR> worldwide, so it seems a bit precious to me to go TOO far with some of this symbolism.<BR> a LITTLE stretch of the usual boundaries is probably good, but we ARE talking about<BR> MASS entertainment here!<P> it's hard to know though, at which end one would start deleting - the 'highbrow' or the<BR> 'lowbrow'?<P> for example, i liked the sydney nolan ned kelly's (with the square black heads) but<BR> wondered if non-australians could read that, at all?<P> at the other end of the spectrum, the corrugated iron sheets of building material were<BR> pretty boring, i thought - until they made that cute outback tin shed house...<P> i could go through the whole thing picking out examples at the arty end and at the<BR> more countrified end, that might have been totally meaningless mysteries without the<BR> kind of interpretation you received!<P> what did YOU like? what didn't you? which segments, if any, did you enjoy, or recognise<BR> immediately?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:25 am 

I just read your article Azlan. I like this part.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>``I wasn't scared at all,'' said Nikki, who spent much of the program suspended high above the<BR> crowd hooked to a harness and a wire. ``I was just having heaps and heaps of fun.'' <P> So was everyone else, with the possible exception of Nikki's parents, who had been kept in the dark<BR> about her high-flying stunts. She told them it ``wouldn't be a surprise'' if she told them what she would<BR> be doing. Asked how they reacted after watching her sail clear up above the cheap seats with only a<BR> harness to hold her, Nikki said they were ``both in tears.'' So we can assume they were surprised. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 8:21 pm 

Yeah, that would never happen here in the US, i.e. the parents being kept in the dark about their child's aerial stunts. Oh the ensuing lawsuit would bankrupt the Olympics...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next