public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question - v a wolfl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 12:03 pm 

Hi everyone<P>I have a question. Who is V A Wolfl?<P>Jann Parry made a parallel between he and Russell Maliphant back in 1995, and as some of you know, Im researching Maliphant so it would be handy if I could get my hands on some info about this Wolfl guy.<P>My research has revealed that he's a German postmodern Choreographer but on the net all Im coming across is an artist that goes by the same name, or is the same person but he's changed careers.<P>Any hints?

Post subject: Re: question - v a wolfl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 12:35 pm 

I have done a Google search and I found a page that lists the person of whom you maybe speaking. He is totaly unfamiliar to me - but this is the site I found:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.carincontext.org/artist/w/va-wolfl/selected/exhibitions.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.carincontext.org/artist/w/va-wolfl/selected/exhibitions.htm</A> <P><BR>Note: Basheva, I have added a couple of forward slashes before www to make the link work.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited October 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 4:23 pm 

sorry kt, i know NOTHING!!!!!!! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 3:12 am 

thanks for your help! much appreciated, will check out the link.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 4:11 am 

actually, kt - in your circumstances, what i would do, once having exhausted all other reasonable possibilities (so as not to waste a stranger's time)...i would contact jann parry. she just might be very pleased to help! Image<P>i should have thought of that earlier..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 5:09 am 

I'm afraid that link still doesn't work. Could you check it Basheva?<P>I found a fragment of text in German about him, but nothing else. In general, the Internet is not great for dance research. Have you tried a good dance library kt or Dance Services at The Place?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:52 am 

stuart, you wouldn't know it from kt's profile, which places her in new south wales..but then, it also says she is a secret agent, i believe....<P>kt is an MA Dance student at Surrey, who seems to spend a LOT of time in the library there, when not attending dance.....so i imagine she's checked out the more obvious sources over her last two years of 'maliphant study'! (she's nearly finished....)<P>btw, kt, did you end up reviewing dance umbrella? you DO realise, i hope, that we'd be very pleased to put your reviews up here at criticaldance....in whichever section is appropriate....(but we don't pay!).... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:53 am 

and oh yes, jann parry is writing for the guardian these days...so that's one avenue...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 7:44 am 

Jann Parry writes for The Observer which is part of the same group. On the Internet the Observer pages come up under a Guardian banner, but they are separate offices I believe.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 7:48 am 

Oh, oh, kt the secret agent is back and we gave her all our secrets! Good luck anyway, kt. Let us know what you find out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 9:16 am 

Oh no! My secret identity has been revealed! Oh well, cant stay anonymous forever...<P>Thanks for all the tips everyone. I would like to approach J Parry but my institution doesnt really like us students getting to people - rumours tell of a student that made a less than favourable impression. There is an official reason, of course.<P>Anyway, the dissertation is nearly done. I was after info on this unusual parallel to add a bit of spice. Nothing as bad as bland reading!<P>To answer your qu grace, umbrella has been pushed back to Nov so hopefully Im still in! Either way Ill be going to see RM and Ill send in a little review for all who havent had the joy of watching him.<P>Other news is that Ill be extending from the MA at Surrey to an m/phil - phd at Dartington, so anyone out there who needs a contact this way, Im your gal!<P>Thanks to all, and best wishes<P>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 9:57 am 

Here's the German ref.:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.tanznetz.de/szene/marb9707.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.tanznetz.de/szene/marb9707.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 4:44 pm 

thanks stuart, for that help. kt - could you tell me a little about dartington? and btw, your current college's attitude towards it's adult students leaves a lot to be desired! Image <P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:16 am 

Sorry folks, not umbrella pushed back, but me, to another show. Bummer. But if I get to another show Ill post something up. I guess theres something to being known by all after all eh?!<P>Thanks Stuart for the link. I chased up an English version and sent an e requesting info or other links. I can almost smell the target!<P>And yes, grace, my current but fast-becoming-ex college is a little hooked on red tape. But, theres new staff coming in and changing the place so that it keeps up with its better reputation for excellent taught degrees.<P>Dartington, on the other hand, is settled but progressive. It has produced the likes of Emilyn Claid and Rosemary Butcher. Laurie Booth returns to perform regularly and many other choreographers, including RM, have been there for several intensive experimental stages.<P>Im intending to explore the idea of the performers persona. Quite a philosophical venture! Whether the persona includes a narcissitic projection of model self, or an entirely new construction that hides the everyday personas I dont know yet. But Ive got 4 years (part time - I cant hack anymore tha that!)to find out! Hopefully, at the end Ill have some sort of practice to show for my efforts, something like vocational counsellors offer as well as the usual (gulp) thesis.<P>Grace I cant send you more info privately if you like. I dont want to bore evryone else!<P>I muust say thanks again for all your help. Every gesture of support is much appreciated.<P>KT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:19 am 

oops - typos galore! I mean I CAN send you stuff grace!