public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Billy Elliot - A critique of the film
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 7:20 am 

Italian people with English accents - how funny.<P>Hope your "accent study" goes well Basheva.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 11:58 pm 

'Time to give Billy Elliot the boot. Merchant Ivory may be a spent force, but heritage cinema is alive and well. If we want to make 2001 a year to remember, we've got to put nostalgia behind us.' By Ben Thompson<P> <A HREF="Http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Film/Features/2001-01/heritage050101.shtml" TARGET=_blank>Http://www.independent.co.uk/enjoyment/Film/Features/2001-01/heritage050101.shtml</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 1:28 pm 

I loved this film. I loved the symbolism. I do admit that a lot slipped by me the first time I saw it (including much of the dialog, because of the accents) and I noticed so much more the second and third times I saw it. The camera angles were intriguing, the music great, and the dancing heart felt and refreshingly "raw" (for lack of a better term).The tutus and the cigarette hanging out of teacher's mouth; the slick waxed floors near the dressing rooms, contrasting with the roughness of life in general; the Grandma and the way she was there, and not there, the swan figurines in Grandma's room and swan wall paper in Debbie's room and feathers from the pilow fight between Billy and Debbie. The snow man scene and the way the Dad was turned around to face the other way during several scenes in the movie,including the snowman scene (when his friend was relieving himself on the snowman) and on the escalator at the end- I found facinating.I liked the way they moved and blended the time frames, kept me guessing.I didn't care how accurate the piroette learning sequence was,I think this was also pure symbolism. I loved the piroette scene when he kept hearing his teacher's voice-"prepare" and the scenes were of several people,Billy trying and falling again and again, Dad shaving, brother listening to music, Grandma doing plies in her room.I think this movie was a beautiful piece of art and statement about life.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 3:33 pm 

Welcome to criticaldance Rachael. Good to have you here and i hope you enjoy the site.<P>I agree with you about Billy Elliott, a fine film in many ways.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 9:34 am 

I read a short article in a Sunday Newspaper's Women's magazine which was about Deborah Bull and the Last Good book, CD, Film etc that she had read, listened, seen.<P>the Film was surprise, surprise - Billy Elliot. She said:-<P>"As a professional dancer, I rarely enjoy watching dance in films because it is usually done so badly. But apart from the audition for the ballet school, this film got it right. the film still tugged at the hearstrings without being over sentimental"<P>Thought this might be of interest.

Profile E-mail