public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: recreation in dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 6:26 am 

Hi!<BR>Could anyone say few words, ideas about recreation in dance/dancing. <P>I am having hard time with this topic

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: recreation in dance
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:01 am 

Hello Siaf - welcome to the board, it's great to have you here. <P>I am not completely sure what you mean by recreation and dancing. Many people study dance as a recreation - just for the fun and pleasure. It is also very good exercise for the body and mind. Others do it for a profession. And, some start out doing it as a recreation and end up doing it as a profession!! <P>Tell us something about your involvement in dance and maybe we can help a bit more.<P>Meanwhile - welcome!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:15 am 

siaf - i'd be keen to help, if i was sure what you are asking, also. Image<P>i am wondering if you are asking about re-creating or re-producing dance? this is a very big subject - but it may not be what you mean, so i won't even BEGIN until i understand you better, OK?<P>basheva's request for more info will help us to help you.<P>by the way, i notice your email ends in 'ee' - what does that stand for? is that the country code? welcome to criticaldance Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:28 am 

Thanks Basheva for your reply! what i ment was that dance as recreation. how is dance as recreation and is it used for this purpose and what u think of this. your own personal point of view.<P>thankful Endro<BR>i am really pleased to be in this forum<P>PS: sorri for my english

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 7:49 am 

thank u Grace! Very much!<BR>What i ment i wrote already in my reply to Basheva.dance as recreation, what are the merits and demerits. what points should be mentioned?! this is to persuade someone using dancing for recreational purpose. <P> .ee stands for Estonia (Baltic country in Eastern Europe - former sovjet union) <P>Thanks for your warm welcome!<P>this forum is really great! <P>Thank u all! <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:18 pm 

Hello Saif - I had a friend who toured your country and found it to be very beautiful - she had a wonderful time.<P>There are many advantages to taking dance just for recreation. First of all you will be learning something. Learning about an art form. You will also learn about the history of the ballet or other kinds of dance, and a great deal about music. You will also learn a lot about yourself - your body and how it works and your mind.<P>Dance teaches wonderful discipline and focus for the mind. It is also very fulfilling - gives the dancer a real sense of accomplishment. You would also be giving others pleasure in watching you. It is also terrific exercise. You will then know how it feels to be a dancer and the work and dedication that the dancer knows.<P>I hope this helps you - and don't worry about your English - it's very good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:42 pm 

siaf - i am SO pleased with myself! - i was guessing estonia, but i have never seen that country code before!<P>i agree with basheva, of course. in my school brochure i say things like:<P>exercise, fitness, stress-reduction, pleasure of moving to music, social aspect of the class, and sheer fun<P>there is also the left brain/right brain stuff, about how it's good for the whole person to have balance, in the physical, mental and emotional aspects of life - that contrasting demands help the organism to function better. e.g. physical activity helps people to study better, and to rest/sleep better. quality music apparently helps people to do mathematics. etc!<P>is the internet used much in estonia? are you involved in dance yourself? are there any estonian sites like this for dance discussion?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 4:41 pm 

I have to say that all those years of dance didn't help my math skills one tiny bit..I still can only count to 8 and I do that by counting to 4 twice......I hope you have better luck, Siaf - LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 5:10 pm 

but was it mozart, basheva?<P>only joking! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 5:54 am 

Siaf, welcome. As far as I'm concerned, recreational dance is as important as professional dance. Grace said it very well. <P>Basheva, I'm with you, mathematically. Even flamenco and bharatya natyam with their different musical counts couldn't help me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:24 am 

I think that Mozart definitely counts - it's me with the problem.<P>Saif - there are also many dancers that started out dancing recreationally and then an avocation became a vocation. Many dancers also started out in dance class on doctor's orders to correct some health problem as children. <P>People come to dancing for many reasons.<P>------------------<BR>Approach life as a dancer approaches the barre, with grace and purpose.

Profile E-mail