public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 'Centrestage' Film out on Video
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 5:42 pm 

<A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A23659-2000Oct26?language=printer" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A23659-2000Oct26?language=printer</A> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This backstage drama, directed by Nicholas ...Hytner, is for dance fans only. It's about squeezing bloody feet into ballet shoes and hoping the director of this New York ballet academy (Peter Gallagher) invites you to the company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 'Centrestage' Film out on Video
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 12:26 pm 

yes,,, I finally got to see this film on video....I thought it was a bit inane at times, but good at other times....the story I found a bit more intersting than "The Turning Point"....I'm glad it raised the issue of eating disorder and the "stage mother" issue. I thought it was relatively realistic (even underplayed)concering the competitive aspect. If anything, the director and teachers were kinder (in the film) than many I have run across in the upper echelons of the best ballet schools. Most schools will simply dismiss you without even an explanation;or very much of one....I'm not saying it's right...simply that;s the way it is! The dancing was great!! I'm glad they showed that there were other career alternatives to the classical ballet company. And the acting, especially Ethan Steifel, was surprisingly good!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 3:34 pm 
Has the film been released in Britain yet?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 4:38 pm 

Egad! Please don’t waste your money on that Hollywood junk! It was a made-for TV movie at best. The acting wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be. But as for the story and the motorcycle ballet, you won’t be able to view it more than once. Anyone who buys this video will be helping every filmy, soulless, reptilian pinhead in Hollywood to perpetuate their species. Stop those bastards from polluting the history of cinema. If you must see it, wait for it to come out on FREE TV. Don’t be a sucker.<P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 12:43 am 

Michael, reading between the lines, am I right that you weren't overly impressed with this film?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 2:58 pm 

It was utterly forgettable. <P>------------------<BR>Michael Goldbarth

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2000 6:41 pm 

well, as a dance student in Oz, I totally agree with michael. My friends loved it, they thought it was faantastic, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it!(fortunately, or unfortunately I saw it on a plane) <BR>I guess it just depends whether you like that kind of thing.. <BR>But then again, how realistic can you make a hollywood film?? I guess if they did make it too realistic it would put people off ballet altogether..<BR>Personally I would rather watch a documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 6:38 am 

Yes, Purple. I, myself, would prefer to see a documentary. I rather enjoyed "Backstage at the Kirov" with Altynai Asylmirtov. And I probably got that last name wrong.....<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited November 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 4:29 pm 

Assylmuratova...two 's's or one, kevin? Image<P>i agree with you, purple (Welcome! Image - and with maggie - that was a particularly good documentary wasn't it......? (about 10 years old now, i think,.....). very enjoyable.<P>i haven't see Centrestage, yet...can't really be bothered, but i suppose i ought....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 9:17 pm 
Grace, only one S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:47 am 

Thank-you for the spelling, Kevin.<P>I haven't seen Centerstage either. I will probably watch it on satellite on a snowy night when it comes around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 2:05 pm 

Just to confirm -- "Centerstage" IS the correct spelling. Am I right?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 2:37 pm 

No, it's "Center Stage" according to the official web site:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.unitic.com/centerstage/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.unitic.com/centerstage/</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 2:53 pm 

The movie is aimed at an audience of teenage girls -- and if you keep telling yourself that, it isn't so bad. As a dance fan, I felt obligated to go since I do not get to see Ethan Stiefel in "Stars and Stripes" very frequently in my neck of the woods. (His acting ability won't be keeping Edward Norton up nights, but I don't think anyone expected any miracles there.)And the motorcycle ballet is a hoot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 4:32 pm 

I enjoyed "Center Stage" very much, silly me. No, it wasn't "Backstage at the Kirov" nor "Children of Theater Street", but I still liked it, and like Dirac, it did give me a chance to see Ethan Stiefel. Also, gave me a chance to see Julie Kent again. <P>It also dealt with some real issues in the dance/ballet world. It was interesting to read at the website the backgrounds of the actors and actresses. I think the black dancer in real life is a gymnast? Do I remember that correctly?

Profile E-mail