It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most Highly Recommended Dance Videotapes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 6:36 am 

well? Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Most Highly Recommended Dance Videotapes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 8:43 am 

ABT's Full length Don Q <BR>Baryshnikov at Wolf Trap<BR>The Hard Nut<BR>The Royal Ballet's La Bayadere- I'm a die hard Bussell fan! :-) <BR>Cinderella with Sibley and Dowell(not my favorite ballet but an amazing cast!)<BR>Nureyev on The Bell Telephone Hour - He's amazing in the Diana and Acteon variation and Berisova is just plain amazing. <P>I have many,many more.<BR>DH <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 10:51 am 

I have been told that I have the largest video tape college of ballet on the west coast of the United States. I haven't done any studies to confirm this - but others have told me this. <P>So if anyone wants any information - just ask.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:26 pm 

david - is the RB bayadere 'just' the shades, or the whole shebang? approximately when did this come out? (if it's just the shades, what else is on the tape please?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:08 pm 

I have that tape, Grace - the complete La Bayadere with Royal Ballet, Bussell, Makhomedov, Aslymertonova, Dowell.<P>I also have the complete ABT version with Makarova, Harvey , Tcherkasky, Dowell.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 3:09 pm 

Grace-<BR>It's the full length Bayadere. I'm guessing, but maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I'm not at home so I can't check it. I think it's available at Amazon.com<BR>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 4:52 pm 

I'll recommend NYCB's Balanchine Celebration even though I didn't care much for the videography. There are two volumes I believe. NYCB dancers are joined by international stars in dancing Balanchine favorites.<P>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 8:16 pm 

Albrecht,<BR>I agree. Again Bussell in the Agon pas and Elizabeth Loscavio's Who Cares variation.What you don't see is how many bows she took after doing it.<BR>Basheva,I would love to own the ABT Bayadere. Tcherkassky was one of my favorites and highly under rated. <BR>DH

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 10:13 am 

I have to admit I fell asleep several times while trying to watch the NYCB Balanchine videos... but then again watching videos isn't the same as watching a performance live.<P>I have to say that documentaries tend to hold my attention much better on the small screen. Dancemaker, the film on Paul Taylor comes to mind, as does the Martha Graham documentary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 1:50 pm 

David you are very right - Tcherkassky was never given her due. She is very beautiful. The only reason she danced the night La Bayadere was shown on TV was because Makarova could not complete the ballet (she had a knee injury which eventually ended her career) and so at the last minute Mariana was asked to dance - and a superb job she did, too!!<P>There are only two places, if one watches carefully, that one can see she and Dowell danced this without adequate rehearsal and that was in the grand pas de deux, when at one point their arms are not aligned as they should be. But one really has to look for it. Otherwise, it was very smooth. <P>I have used the Shades scene many times in a lecture demonstration that I do/did and it never fails to mesmerize old and young viewers completely. I think the lead dancer does 64 arabesque penches. I love the way the tutus become part of the design - absolutely stunning. <P>I have seen ABT do La Bayadere in person too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 7:24 pm 

i am such a pedantic pain! Image<P>the lead shade in bayadere does as many arabesques as there are shades, plus throw in a few more to ensure all are onstage in their lines!....there are never 64. half that number is more usual. different companies use different numbers of ladies, (for obvious reasons) and the music runs the risk of being cut accordingly!<P>these are arabesques fondus, not penchées.<P>sorry for being me! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:12 am 

Right, Grace, and the one leg, (or side) gets worked a lot, probably improving the arabesque on that side. So, the dancer can either rejoice at the opportunity for improvement, or curse having to do arabesques on her bad side! If it's the good side, she can enjoy doing her best arabesque over and over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 7:21 am 

Actually I would agree that the choreography is fondu arabesque - but I have seen it done with penche' - and as for the number - I have also seen it as 64 - but perhaps - I was dreaming - I am a dreamer........I shall retreat......

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 10:58 pm 

well basheva, you were probably just 'seeing double', like solor! Image<P>it seems to be quite common to describe these arabesques as penchées, and it's easy to understand why - sorry to jump on you, like that! - i'm just fussy about facts and terminology, as you know. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 12:21 am 

excuse me while i wipe egg off face - self-inflicted, and obviously richly deserved! Image<P>it occured to me while in the shower just now, that the word i meant to use was arabesque 'allongée' (which is also fondu).<P>this has happened to me a few times lately - i've got so worked up about 'correcting' something that bugged me, that i've ended up making an error myself. there's obviously a lesson in this for me! Image

Profile E-mail