public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dance periodicals
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:02 pm 

What do you, the dance and dance-interested public want from a dance magazine? Are publishers giving you what you want? Or is the web taking over? I'd love to hear your comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance periodicals
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:09 pm 

Ooh... you're asking me? Well, I'll let others have a go first since I do have a strong opinion about this...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 10:22 pm 

What's wrong with a strong opinion?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 5:05 am 

good question jennifer. Image<P>i will say that i love dance europe's website: very stylish and colourful. and the opportunity to see what's in it, DOES whet the appetite to read more than they offer online - but it's not purchaseable here anyway, so i don't go and buy it. i think i would if i could, so i DO think their site is probably good advertising.<P>stuart described our CD website as a dance magazine just yesterday, and i've been thnking about that. i actually see it as an international daily dance NEWSPAPER. <P>what's the distinction? not sure - don't make me think late at night! Image<P>but there is one, and i FEEL more like a newspaper here, than a magazine - maybe because everything is so up-to-the-minute, so much as if we are IN the action as it is happening...unfolding....not like a mag, which can only report really after the fact..and has far fewer letters to the editor! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 6:15 am 

I think that CD transcends both newspapers and magazines. It is certainly more up to the minute - but even more importantly - it is interactive. The only way one can express an opinion to published media is by way of a Letter to the Editor - which the odds are won't be published and if so, almost surely edited at the Editor's discretion.<P>Also, quite different, someone who enters CD can begin a discussion - like the one we are on now. This is truly unique. It is also exciting. It opens us all up to many differnt opinions. The writer can be questioned immediately. <P>I cancelled my subscription to Dance Magazine many years ago. It dealt with a lot of things I wasn't interested in, didn't deal with the things I was interested in. I thought, for the most part the photography was poor. The reviews were much too delayed. Getting the reviews published in April for the previous Decembers Nutcrackers is deadly.<P>I also found the reviews more interested in flashy witticisms on the part of the reviewers than in simply telling it as the reviewer saw it. I don't go to the ballet to see how high the extensions are this year - and I don't read reviews for the latest in verbal tricks.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 6:52 am 

i agree basheva, that what we are part of here, is very exciting, in part because of its interactivity.<P>have just come across that comment of stuart's, posted elsewhere yesterday, and funnily enough, he DID call it a 'newspaper'....good, because i agree! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 6:55 am 

one way mags still have the advantage, though, is that (until i get an amazing laptop! -which won't be for a LONG time...) i can't read this on the bus..... Image<P>and i prefer in-depth articles in printed format, so the ideas can really be 'viewed'. to get that, i print out any long posts which really matter (like Tuk's technique papers) to really pore over them (on the bus!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 10:17 am 

Grace - I remember buses LOL - from Philadelphia. Oh, we have buses here in Southern California - but one only rides them in extremis. Reading on the bus or the train is an advantage over car travel on the freeway - but don't tell a Southern Californian that!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 7:58 pm 

Boy, these are all strong opinions.<P>Here's what I think. The web is <I>not</I> taking over. Publishers (and I know there are more than a few reading this forum) can rest assured about this. The pleasure of reading a well-published magazine still can't be beat. Furthermore, as Grace said, most people still can't read long articles on the screen.<P>Where the web <I>is</I> taking over is in providing timely reviews (online editions of newspapers) and a chance for enthusiasts to share their thoughts.<P>Therefore, what I would like to see in a periodical is not reviews but rather features, not just fluff pieces on dancers (yawn...) but on heavy issues. Examples of articles I'd like to see are "The Crisis in Dance," "The State of the Bolshoi and the Effect it has on the World of Ballet," "Bullying of Dancers," "Funding Modern Dance Companies," etc.<P>And of course, I'd like to see a URL in each of the above articles to the criticaldance.com forum where both "experts" as well as enthusiastic readers can share their thoughts and brainstorm solutions. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 3:14 am 

Great to hear your thoughts folks, please keep 'em coming!<P>I personally think there's room for good websites and great publications. Maybe Azlan's idea to link the two is also a nive touch. I also get sick of the prissy little stories about dancers, but everyone seems to want them, so I too, write them ;(<P>I'd much prefer to put my teeth into real issues though!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 5:08 am 

Azlan, I agree with what you have to say. I will add, though, that I get a big kick out of pulling an old magazine from years back out of the archives and looking at it.

Profile E-mail