public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's in a name?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 8:42 am 

since i just found you the day before the deadline i'm not that attached to the name. however i have bookmarked it. so please contact me if you move.<BR>i like the allusion to critical mass. if the bicyclists taking over the streets were joined by dancers there'd be lots more arrests. unless they kept on the sidewalks.<BR> it sure could be worse if the name was "criticizedance" or "criticsofdance".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 9:18 am 

jb_dub welcome and many thanks for your comments. We look forward to hearing more from you and hope that you continue to find interesting material on criticaldance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 4:21 pm 

ooh, ooh, ooh!..running out of TIME!!!<P>my thoughts: (i have tried to stay out of this in public, <BR>because i have rather strong views on it!)...<P>points in favour of keeping it as is:-<P>1. it's THERE already<BR>2. some people don't like change<BR>3. some people LIKE it<BR>4. sentimental attachment of the name-creator/s <BR>(who no doubt put a great deal of thought into it...)<BR>5. YOU tell ME....<P>points in favour of changing it:-<P>1. it's negative (or can appear so)<P>2. it's still very EARLY in our lifetime as a board (i hope!)<P>3. some people DON'T like it<P>4. it implies a critical perspective - which most people regard as a negative view - even tho' dictionary definitions may be broader...who stops to look up a dictionary?...<P>5. as a dance 'critic', i know this is how people perceive the word 'critical'<P>6. i first came here because the name gave me the impression that it was a board for dance CRITICS...just as well it wasn't! Image<P>7. i DON'T think it's easy to remember, because dance people i know, DON'T like to think in terms of critics/criticism/critical...i agree that it's VERY important to have a name that's easy to remember.<P>8. as no. 2 -it's very early days yet- so i think NOW is the time to change (sorry, azlan). <P>9. i think it's just a matter of coming up with a new, better, (& preferably slightly shorter) one. stuart & i have ideas on this; nothing definite yet, but some possibilities - and we are open to all suggestions.... Image<P>10. need i say more?<P>11. OK, i cheated a bit with the numbering.... Image<P>12. HEY! COMPETITION! <BR>Think up our new name. <BR>The WINNER gets FREE membership of this board (!) Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 01, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 4:42 pm 

Okay, okay. How about a competition for a new name? BTW, we should begin registering possible alternatives to make sure they aren't already taken...<P>And jd_dub, even if we change the name, we will still keep the old name for continuity purposes. Most people won't even know if they still want to go to <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com." TARGET=_blank>www.criticaldance.com.</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 7:07 pm 

My opinion is that we should keep it as is. Criticaldance has a nice "ring" to it and using the example of "literary criticism" it implies and suggests an ongoing dialogue(s) about the art form's meaning, context and evolution. As interpreted by and added to by audiences, critics, writers, fans, commentators and "culture vultures" of every stripe. How's that for an opinion!!!?!?@*&*&*&*&*&

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 7:10 pm 

I do agree with Trina about the ring.<P>CRITICALDANCE.COM just sounds nice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 3:49 am 

So do I.<P>It certainly does push peoples buttons.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:28 am 

Many thanks for all the comments. Looking forward to views from other posters, before the deadline of midnight (PST) TODAY!<P>That leaves plenty of time for us Europeans, as the West Coast Yanks are so far behind us.<BR>Yes, alright grace, I know the Aussies are ahead.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:47 am 

Stuart, the Aussies are EVERYWHERE!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 5:26 am 

Michael can you confirm the rumour that the favourite drink of Aussies in Paris is called a 'Swagman's bière verte' and is a pint of Fosters lager with two shots of crème de menthe? <P>Have I gone off subject? As if! <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 6:24 am 

Never heard of it!<BR>Though I'm willing to try anything once (I suppose you've gotta put something in Fosters to give it some taste).<BR>If I chance across it (not that I tend to hang out in Parisian Aussie pubs)I'll send you a crit.<BR>To my knowledge the favorite Aussie beverage in Paris remains - Vodka!<P>Maybe everyone should have one at midnight tonight!<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 02, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 11:31 am 

Unless you have a better alternative, I suggest not changing the name. By better, a name should not only be catchy and easy to remember, but should be easy for search engines to find. So it should be descriptive of the site, include the word dance, and begin with the letter A, B, or C to bring it up high in search returns.<P>Are there any votes for alternative names?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:35 pm 

Also, criticaldance implies that dance is "critical" to culture and society!!!! We need to look at all the various connontations/word of the word.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:54 pm 

Wow, I'm not sure what to reply to first. Should I defend my Aussie friend "Fosters" or should I respond to the discussion about name change or no name change? All right, since this site is about dance I'll leave the beer bit, especially as I can't drink Fosters without a dash of lime to give it some taste. Image<P>When I first heard the name "criticaldance" I thought: "Oh no, the implications of the word critical could be disastrous!" But hey, the site is going well so why tamper with a good thing? Don't get me wrong I've nothing against change. In fact, I move homes, jobs, etc..etc.. frequently but I do try and hold on to a good thing. Besides, to successfully make a change doesn't one need alternatives? I haven't seen other suggestions for names yet and I sure can't find one that begins with A, B or C and arouses interest myself. And if I could I'd save it for my own site -the one I've been procrastinating about for months.<P>So, what I'm trying to say is; I don't adore the name but I think it serves its purpose. What more can one ask?<P><P>------------------<BR>JL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 2:04 pm 

Jennifer, thanks for the... err... enthusiastic support for the name.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next