public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Technical: Preferences settings
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2000 5:00 am 

dear anyone, i have been finding that even tho' i set this board to 'Show last 75 days' (or whatever), and then click 'Submit Preferences' (of course), crtitcaldance.chat always reverts to 'Show all messages', whenever i go back into it.<P>Yes, I do have a modern version of Netscape, and cookies are enabled....so, what gives? any ideas?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Technical: Preferences settings
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2000 11:22 am 

grace, I'll have someone take a look at that...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2000 3:53 pm 

thanks, azlan.<P>one good thing about this board: whenever i post, my post comes up immediately when my browser goes back to the page.<P>whereas, on the other board that i know we both post on, i always have to reload the page to see my post up there...<P>i don't know where this is controlled - your end or my end- but of course, i wouldn't DARE ask at the OTHER place, in case the moderator chops my head off... Image<P>another good thing is that line up the top which says something about 'click here to view today's active topics': i never understood what this line was for, because on that other board (which shall remain nameless) when i clicked on that, nothing happened...so i never tried it again, but YOURS WORKS!!!! Image how very useful, now that i know what it is.<P>a question: since the page is for TODAY's active topics, why is a whole column devoted to the redundant information of when the last post was (i.e. TODAY, you sillies!) Image? <P>if you have to use that column, might i suggest: could it be re-configured to show EITHER name of last post-er (at this moment in time that would embarrassingly be ME,ME,ME Image) OR the TIME of the last post instead of the date?<P>just another (maybe unwanted...) suggestion Image<P>it certainly is great software, this UBB stuff.<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited 03-11-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 8:10 am 

by the way, i have worked out that the reason it APPEARED that that other board's "Today's Active Topics" link never worked, is because of the time difference. <P>at the times i was using it, it had just ticked past midnight where the board is, so nothing was ever coming up, even tho' there WERE new posts since (MY) yesterday.<P>your SF times suit me better!<P>and azlan, the preferences settings are definitely not 'taking': is anyone else having this problem? or is it just me? <P>helloooooo - is there anyone out there?<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited April 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 11:44 am 

Grace<P>I'm here, but a technical zero! All is read, but I try to limit my posts to stuff I understand.<P>Your arrival has been a real asset to the board. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 5:28 pm 

gee thanks shag - i was wondering why i hadn't elicited any responses to my copious posts yet, from lucy, shag, Cygnet or Michael...beginning to think they must be watching my posts and quietly seething with...? annoyance?<P>my enthusiasm has carried me away and i realise i am at risk of offending those here before me, with all these suggestions and questions...<P>i hope they will ALL take it as it IS - as a compliment to the stimulation you people have already generated just be being there and providing this outlet.<P>so who's the technical bod, then? gotta be at least ONE of you. i'm still reeling from azlan's revelation that you don't actually KNOW where the server is ?- as i said before 'spooky' (cue: twilight zone music)<BR> <BR> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited 03-15-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 11:17 am 

Grace,<P>I've been busy watching dance...<P>Your suggestions are wonderful ones. It seems the problem with your settings appear to be unique to you. I'm still trying to replicate your symptoms. Perhaps you can tell me what versions of the OS and browser that you have.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 8:19 pm 

OS: windows 98 SE <BR>browser: netscape (the ethical choice Image ) 4.something, 4.3? (NOT the latest 4.7 or 8)<P>thanks for trying...it's still happening.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 11:31 am 

Thanks, Grace. I'll get back to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2000 4:09 pm 

OK azlan, that was 2 weeks ago: any news? <P>and are you really going to upgrade to a newer UBB version, or was that just a funny line...?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 10:22 am 

I, also, find that my preferences aren't saved (including the option to have the board remember my name and password, as well as the number of days' messages I wish to view). I think this is common to the current version of UBB, but I can't say for sure, as this is the only American board on which dance lighting is considered a topic fit for polite discussion, so it's the only one I currently log on to -- I've never been fond of being relegated to the back of the bus.<BR> <P>------------------<BR>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=<BR>Jeffrey E. Salzberg,<BR>Lighting Designer<BR>NEW URL: <A HREF="http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR>" TARGET=_blank>http://www.suncoast.quik.com/salzberg<BR></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2000 2:58 pm 

i want to second salzberg's comment about this board and the technical/production issues.<P>i think that's a real plus, and an area that a lot of dancers, and dance teachers especially, want to learn more about, but don't know how to start, and don't want to look silly asking questions...so the internet is a perfect private-access method to begin to learn about something new like this.<P>can you spread the word, salzberg, to any OTHER production/backstage people? so that this area can flourish for our general betterment? (well, MY betterment, for starters... Image )<P>and re the preferences: they're NOT taking, even tho' i did some cookie clearing just in case that helped. and you're right salzberg, it doesn't remember MY user name & password either...i just hadn't noticed that. could i ask what browser you're using? - i'm using netscape 4.5<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited 04-03-2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 7:42 pm 

salzberg, grace, I don't know why your cookies and settings aren't working. The only other problem I know of is lightbulbs going off on AOL browsers. Perhaps it is time we upgrade to the newer version... What I propose is we first go through our administrative changes as outlined by Stuart and then we ugrade to the new software. Fair?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2000 3:42 am 

"whatever you say, Cap'n..."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:53 am 

while trying things out, i noticed that if i go into preferences and set them IN any session, they DO 'take' -for the length of THAT session. but they're gone next time i log on...just thought i'd tell you that. i'm going to try the cookie clearing again...

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next