public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Posting Pictures to CD
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:48 am 

1. Find a place you can post pictures. Maybe you have web space somewhere.<P>2. Post the pictures there.<P>3. Figure out what URL is needed to access the picture in your web browser.<P>4. Use the HTML (I've used curly braces instead of angled braces): {img src="http://...."}<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Posting Pictures to CD
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:24 am 

Thanks for the information - I just added a pix of Folk Dancers in The Netherlands to the thread of the same name in World Dance.<P>- Susan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:55 am 

Is it possible to link pictures to websites?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:23 am 

Just a reminder to everyone to tread carefully with images which are not your own. Copyright and crediting needs to be observed. Otherwise we may find the legal profession taking an interest.<P>If you have any doubts please contact one of the Administrators for advice on:<P>admin@criticaldance.com<P>Sylvia, why not put the link to the appropriate website under the image so that everyone can see it, as i have done here:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000362.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000362.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 28, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:57 am 

I don't know the exact legal issues involved here. However, there are four ways one might link to pictures:<P> 1. Copy the picture to your own site and link to it.<P> 2. Leave the picture wherever you found it, and add an img tag link to it, as Stuart demonstrated.<P> 3. Give a URL, that the user must click on to see the image. When the anchor is clicked, the user sees just the image.<P> 4. Give a URL as above. But when the user clicks, the image comes up in the context originally intended by the author of that page. So you're not linking just to the picture, but to a full web page.<P>Method (1) is clearly a copyright violation without prior permission. Method (4) probably is not, although there HAVE been court cases over "deep linking" in the past.<P>Methods (2) and (3) are a grey area, especially (2). In method (2), one is taking the picture out of its original context and using it in one's own context. Even though the copyright owner can still theoretically change the picture's URL, thereby removing it from wherever you posted it, my uninformed guess is there's probably still a copyright problem here.<P>Many dance companies would probably not object to method (2), especially if proper credit is given, because it enhances the company's visibility. I think it's a grey area.<P><p>[This message has been edited by citibob (edited May 08, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:12 am 

Stuart, when you post links under images, how do you make them appear directly under the image and make the font size smaller than normal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:58 am 

A simple way to make them smaller is:<BR><small>QQQQQ</small><P>I tend to find that that makes it look OK without bothering about centering. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:39 am 

<small>Thanks Stuart! Image</small><p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited June 22, 2002).]

Profile E-mail