public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Front page photo
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 1:28 pm 

Image <P>Daniel Goldin "Hinter der Nacht"<P>From the website of the German dance photographer, Matthias Zölle.<P>How about this one? <P>By the way if it comes to a vote I've tied up the 60 block votes of the British Rail Shunters and Wheel-tappers Modern Dance Club.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 2:44 pm 

i think that's lovely, stuart - and i hope(?) michael montgomery will like it, too. it's vital and happy - and, MM (that's Michael M) - at the moment especially, we NEED that, i feel.<P>and as to continuing the debate...MM is feeling very relaxed and looking for amusement in his (new) retirement, but the rest of us don't really have the apetite for any more bunfights, at the moment...<P>could you please just put that one up for now?<P>i think one month is MORE THAN enough for ANY pic, and that changing it weekly would be ideal...i know this means work - but i think YOUR way of addressing this is IDEAL - DELEGATE! <P>ask people for suggestions, let THEM do the work - this also allows people to have more influence in their own site. <P>i think THAT will be appreciated - but i also think it is essential to air ideas in a thread like this (which gets closed occasionally and a new one opened, so it doesn't get unwieldy) - so that they can receive 'critical' comment, as above.<P>i also would like to see one of pascal bourrasseau's photos used next. i will put forward suggestions, and i hope MM will also.<P>and i think it would be good to alternate ballet and more 'modern' or other genre shots, so people (especially newcomers) DON'T get the idea we are only THAT one thing. i know I did, when i first came here, when the drawing up at the time was a contemporary style one...<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 2:54 pm 

<BR>I think it's GREAT!<P>And second Grace's sentiments precisely. Although monthly changes, (open to suggestions & debate by members) would be more practical.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 5:06 pm 

I vote to change the photo regularly. How tired is it go to other sites and see the same crippled dancer bent over her points? Let's give this site a fresh look.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 5:24 pm 

Lucy, where are you seeing that old picture of me, you know, the crippled dancer bent over her pointes? I'm sure that must be me. <BR>I vote regular changes. There is a wealth of available dance photos done by excellent photographers out there. I'd like to see them often.<BR>Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 9:02 pm 

hey, i LIKE that picture, and sorry, but to me it shows infinite good taste to restrain oneself from choosing some ballerina's high extension (which we are ALL getting SO tired of, now that EVERYone can do it...well, everyone except azlan, poor thing). Image<P>...really glad MM also likes zolle's image. <P>i was just coming in here to suggest THIS for NEXT time, whenever that may be...i love the movement in THIS shot by Pascal Bourrasseau of Elisabeth Platel in Giselle.<P> Image <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 11, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 1:55 am 

Just to clarify things. <BR>The French photographers full real name is Pascal Elliott Bourasseau, although his pictures in POB programmes are credited under just Elliott and in other international press as Pascal Elliott.(but never Pascal Bourasseau - Grace, or just Pascal - Stuart; If I used smilies i'd put one here.)<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 3:51 am 

Michael, thanks for the further clarification. I have corrected the attribution in my POB review. <P>Glad to hear that your not a Smilies freak! No offence, grace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 4:27 am 

WHATEVER you say, MM - but how could i know? i mean, not to pry, but which is his surname: 'bourraseau' or 'elliott bourrasseau' or...?<P>anyway, aside from that: here are some more suggestions, from the same photographer.<BR> Image <BR>i like this very much, the light in it...but i think it's 'ballet's' TURN...so there's this one, (heading towards the balletic anyway) Image <P>and nicholas le riche: <BR> Image <BR>- and then there's this 'hunk'(meme persone). Image <P>OK folks: debate away! I like all of 'em...<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 4:43 am 

His first name is Pascal, his last name is Elliott Bourasseau. It is not hyphenated, the same as Henri Cartier Bresson is not.<BR>(Maybe that's enough photos posted for now?)<P>Grace, I particularly like the top colour shot of the last 4 you posted, It is Marie-Claude Pietragalla in Carolyn Carlsons "Don't Look Back" and could see it working beautifully on the front page, one day. <p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited May 10, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 4:47 am 

Can we use captions under the nicholas le riche photo? It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPERMAN!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 5:01 am 

Maggie! <P>sure, MM- i don't think we need any more, for choosing from, at this point in time. <P>in fact, i suggest after we all have fun making a choice, we then close this thread - and start a new one in maybe 2 weeks to vote for the front page pic to follow THAT. what do people think?<P>aren't we being democratic?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 5:09 am 

You get my vote Grace.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 6:03 am 

stuart - i'm really sorry to make more work for you -and to keep popping BACK in here, folks!- but i know you will agree with this, in principle at least!<P>i think we need to have the names of the dancer, choreographic work, choreographer and photographer -in VERY tiny print- beneath each front page photo.<P>if that is too much to fit, then at least the photographer and the dancer. <P>oh, and BTW folks: we're not REALLY a democracy - stuart is our benevolent dictator! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2000 7:41 am 

Ignoring grace's unjust, unjustified and libellous statement (could I sue criticaldance?), the Pietragelli photo is very good. However, there are one or two detailed points that I feel I should sort out with the dancer. Could you let me have her phone number, Michael?<P>The flying Le Riche is also wonderful and should have a place at some stage.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next