public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: identity crisis solved!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:45 pm 

Hmmm...<P>Well. I found this forum a few weeks ago, and signed on. Then in a whirl of performances, a move to a new apartment(alas, no computer), and other life changes(oh, they're all good changes) I kind of neglected things in cyberspace.<P> Oh well, so here I am, and I'll re-introduce myself. I did change my username, it didn't quite suit me, and I only posted once, so no real loss...<P> There are a couple of posts that I'm dying to respond to, and I'll have to save it for a bit later, as my poor eyes have been staring at this computer all night, and it's 4 AM(night job). I look forward to actually participating this time!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: identity crisis solved!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 12:30 am 

Welcome dulcinea and many thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.<P>We'll look forward to reading your views and in a couple of years or so perhaps we'll see some posts from your 2-year old daughter.<P>Hope you continue to find criticaldance interesting.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:56 am 

Welcome to the board Dulcinea...it's great to have you join us.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:38 am 

Dulcinea! Welcome! You are in Virginia? alright!!!! I am going to school in Virginia although home is Cincinnati. Image<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:09 pm 

We look forward to hearing your thoughts, Dulcinea. I can relate to having to pull yourself away from the computer--I'm surprised I'm not legally blind yet, lol!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 6:10 pm 

Hey, Misa_danseuse,<P>Do you go to VCU for school? I just got in as a dance major, but i'm not sure if I am going to go or not, lots of things to consider...<P>I'd love to hear about your take on dance in Richmond- I think about moving there frequently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 7:33 pm 

Dulcinea,<P>I think that VCU has the best dance program in Virginia (of course that is my humble opinion and also that statement goes for modern dance not ballet, as I"m sure you're aware). I am currently recovering from surgery so I am not dancing at the moment but during my time at VCU I am designing a degree in dance therapy through the dept. of interdisciplinary studies. This means that I take almost all the same classes as a dance major and many others (i.e. psychology) for dance therapy. I am probably going to be transferring after next semester so that I can attend a school with an actual dance therapy program but I really do enjoy the dance dept. at VCU. I can tell you anything you'd like to know about the VCU program.<P>As for the Richmond dance scene, VCU brings in some great guest artists but other than that there is not a whole lot going on. There are a few local companies that are alright. And if you're interested in ballet of course the Richmond Ballet is here. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them. Feel free to e-mail me at Misa_18@hotmail.com Are you close to Richmond now?<BR>Look forward to hearing from you! <P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 7:34 pm 

I forgot to mention that being close to D.C. is a wonderful asset. It takes me about an hour and a half to get to the Kennedy Center and other places that bring in great dance companies! Image<P>------------------<BR>The dignity of dance lies in the most noble of instruments, the living bodies of men and women.<BR>~Mary Wigman~<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 9:30 pm 

I will email you. I'm a little more into the ballet end of things, but do want to be well rounded, that's why I said "What the heck..." and auditioned for VCU. I just don't know if I want to dance modern EXCLUSIVELY, which is pretty much what VCU has to offer. I'm also the single mama of a 2 year old, and I don't know if I am ready to be a full time student studying modern dance when ballet is my first love. I guess you could say, I have a bit at stake. Right now I am teaching ballet, and performing w/ our small student company, I work at a womans' shelter overnight, so life is pretty rewarding- I am not unhappy. I do feel limited artistically in this very small town, and would like to dance ballet somewhere else. <BR>Richmond ballet, hmmm... this pregnancy buisness is not the first I've heard of questionable politics surrounding that company, not that I'm so sure I could make the company anyhow.<BR>Oh yeah. I was going to email you. This is getting legnthy. Talk to you later.

Profile E-mail