public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: December/January front page photo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 4:14 am 

Here is our new system for finding front page photos. Please have a look at the system, especially the type of photos that we need on the site.<P>The initial nomination period runs for a week, until 18th November.<P>Over to you folks!<P><u>THE PHOTO SELECTION SYSTEM</u><P>1) The new system to provide a new image every 2 months.<P>2) The CD Administrators, currently Susan, Azlan and Stuart, make sure that the process is carried out every two months.<P>3) In the early part of month of the new selection period, a message goes on the board asking for suggestions and comments from members, Moderators and Administrators, with a defined deadline, ususally around the 15th of the month. Only images where the Company is identified are eligable. <P>4) At the end of the nomination period, the Administrators review the suggestions and the comments and set up a new topic giving the 2-4 numbered images which, in the view of the site Administrators, most closely meet the requirements of the site. 5-7 days will then be allowed for voting. At the end of the defined period, votes are counted and the winning and second place (in case we can't get permission for the first) images announced.<P>5) the Administrators then seek permission for the use of the image and carry out the site mechanics to put it on the front page.<P><u>PHOTO SELECTION CRITERIA</u><P>1. excellent professional quality photograph, in terms of focus, composition, reproduction, etc. - because the quality of the photo reflects on the quality of our overall site - 'first impressions' and all that! The shape of the photo to be clearly portrait not landscape, to ensure that it fits on our front page.<P>2. 'welcoming' image - to encourage, not discourage visitors<P>3. different genre than last month's (i.e. if ballet last month, not ballet this month)<P>4. different gender than last month (hopefully i don't need to explain that one!)<P>5. different colouring than last month's (if last month was predominantly red, this month's ought not to be)<P>6. permission needs to be easily obtainable OR the picture in the public domain OR to be currently in use as part of a promotion, in such a way as to lead to a fair conclusion that it may be used to assist that dancer's/company's publicity campaign.<P>7. credits of both subject and photographer need to be readily available<BR> <P>#1, 2, 6, and 7 are the most important things.<P>#3,4 & 5 are only 'ideals' not 'musts'.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: December/January front page photo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 5:44 am 

Here's one to start the ball rolling - Parsons Dance Company, photo Lois Greenfield<P> Image <P><BR>[Edited by Azlan to include image]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited November 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 2:30 pm 

Here's another couple ofimages:<P> Image <P>Bangarra Dance Theatre<P><BR>As the above slip of the digit is one of my best jokes of the year, I have left it in place. Here is the real image<P> Image <P>Bangarra Dance Theatre<P><BR> Image <P>'Fases' by Rosas<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 2:46 pm 

woooooooo...bangarra dance theatre never looks like that, where *I* come from....! Image<P>btw, this thread took more than 3 minutes to load (already), and the parsons image hasn't come up yet - i stopped the loading, so i could at least see what i had got so far...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 2:47 pm 

i agree that's one of your best jokes - white face make-up and everything.....<P>however, the REAL bangarra shot is super! IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 2:49 pm 

and stuart: i know you like this Fases thing, and it's quite a nice dynamic shot - although i'm gettin' a bit *tired* of it (hint, hint) - but it's the wrong shape.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 3:38 pm 

I think 'Fases' can be trimmed to the active part by that clever Azlan , if people like it.<P>Have I used it before?<P>As you can see I have now given the link rather than the image to the Parsons image. <P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 12, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 4:40 pm 

Oh, yes. that must be Bangarra showing their full range of repertoire. Their versatility is quite impressive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 10:08 pm 

You don't miss a beat, do you, Maggie? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 10:48 pm 

I clipped the Rosas picture down to what I think looks rather cool for a photo which depended a lot of black space. I don't know how to stick it in here though. <P>My computer says it is a 7 second load for my version of the picture on a 28.8 k modem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 12:05 am 

boy, that parsons dance co site is a pain! i waited and waited and waited - still nuthin' - gave up!<P>trina, you might like to forward that cropped Rosas image as an email attachment to stuart, for him to compare with what i did to the same pic - yours might be better...thanks! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 10:56 am 

Both clipped versions are excellent, showing the infinite variety of the artistic approach when confronted with the adaptation of signifiers in a post-modernist universe of discourse ie cutting things up nice to make them fit.<P>You can tell I've been to the Laban Centre today.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 2:23 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>cutting things up nice to make them fit<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i have always preferred this approach...i'm worried you and i won't be able to converse any more, by the time they're finished with you.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 4:17 pm 

*Huh?*

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 11:14 pm 

So where are all these other photos then?

Profile E-mail