public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: December/January front page photo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2000 6:21 am 

Image <P>Here is Ballett Frankfurt in Forsythe's 'Eidos-Telos'<P>It's a striking image and unusual for us that it is an ensemble work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 3:08 am 

Only 2 days to go, but I don't see any sign of a fever pitch of activity over the nomination of new photos.<P>I expect there will be a last minute surge. Me...an optimist? Never!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:40 am 

well, the frankfurt one is unusual for us, because usually we can't get a group into that frame-size - BUT - i wonder how effective it would be, once reduced to the requisite size, since it's pretty vague even at this size. i like it, but i want to see it bigger, nor smaller. it's not very Christmas-y, either, being B/W....<P>the bangarra one with the fire is more warming for northern hemisphere people, and more ritualistic, i.e. suggesting religious observation or festivity or celebration.....<P>i never saw the parson's one, and for me the Rosas one is:-<BR>- no longer fresh to my eye, (seen it too much before),<BR>- needs the visual lead-up on the left of the figures to give it movement,<BR>- also not joyful or celebratory, re 'holiday season' etc....<P>is that all of them - oh, of course there's that one we had 'on hold', as it were......i'll go find it...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 4:44 am 

here it is:<P> Image <I>Julianne Kepley in Rapture</I><P>i'll bump the other thread to the top also - it's called 'Some photos to keep in mind' or something like that....<P>the OTHER photo in there - i know you don't like it - but THAT is really more Christmas-ey! however, it does lack movement....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2000 5:22 am 

OK the truth is out - I prefer B&W photos. All my favourite Chris Nash images are B&W and of course top landscape and exhibition photographers nearly always use B&W, as you can achieve such a wide range of effects.<P>The Parson's site seems to be permanently down for maintenance, since I unearthed the picture. Let's hope we get a window of opportunity to enable us to catch the image, so that we could use it, subject to approval, from our own site.<P>Any others you want to submit people?<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 16, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 3:14 am 

Just a reminder that this is the last day for submitting photos for the December/January front page. After midnight PST, the Administrators will go into an e-mail huddle and nominate between 2 and 4 images, which meet our criteria, for everyone to vote on.<P>For tidiness, here is the other image from the other thread:<P> Image <P><I>John Welker in Carmina Burana, Photo by Kim Kenney</I> <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited November 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail