public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 6:48 am 

Hi everyone,<P>I just found this board a few days ago and wanted to introduce myself and say how much I'm enjoying reading all the messages here. I recognize a few names from the ballet.co.uk boards, which I've been frequenting much longer. (But only posting occasionally, under the name 'Marie Madelaine'.)I particularly remember Sugar Plum Fairy, because she's always very supportive of my favorite dancer, Sir Anthony Dowell! Image<P>I took ballet and jazz as a child, and went to an adult beginner ballet class this fall. I also started figure skating as an adult, and took the ballet class to help me with flexibility and line. So, I don't really feel qualified to call myself 'a dancer',with my limited experience, but I'm still a huge fan of dance.<P>I'm really excited to be going to see the Royal Ballet at the Kennedy Center in a couple weeks. (Ethan Stiefel and Sarah Wildor in "La Fille mal gardee".) So far, I've only seen live performances twice- a local company, and the Russian National Ballet. I'll try to post a review afterwards.<P>Anyway, it's great to be here.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 7:27 am 

Strawberry Ice...welcome!! What a lovely nickname! Makes me think of summer afternoons!!<BR>You're going to see Ethan Stiefel dance with the Royal!! Exciting!! That guy sure does get around! One year a Hollywood movie ("Centerstage"), the next year the Royal Ballet! Wow--he IS talented though!!<BR>We look forward to hearing more from you, and YES, we would love to hear about that performance. Can someone give me the translation for the ballet "La Fille Mal Gardee"? I've never been really sure of what exactly that means...something about a naughty boy, I THINK?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 8:42 am 

Strawberry Ice - welcome - a warm welcome - but hopefully that won't melt you!! Seriously - glad to have you join us.<P>I believe "La Fille Mal Gardeé" means the badly guarded daughter. Wait - here it is in the book 101 Stories of the great Ballets by Balanchine and Mason. They say it means:<P>"The Unchaparoned Daughter"<P>Sounds better as "La Fille Mal Gardeé"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 9:15 am 

Welcome, Strawberryice. I love strawberries myself! And I consider you a dancer! <BR>Basheva, I like "The Badly Guarded Daughter" lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 9:48 am 

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.<P>I got my user name from figure skater Toller Cranston's 1982 television special of the same name. He's one of my idols...I have his picture on one side of my computer desk, and Dowell's on the other!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 1:22 pm 

Hi StrwberryIce and welcome.<P>We have had a few threads in Dance Miscellany I think about Ice Skating. I love watching it but unfortunately in the UK we don't get much TV coverage. it would be great to have a discussion about it with you some day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 1:41 pm 

Strawberry Ice - I remember that Toller Cranston special on TV. I idolize him, too. He was just about the first of the really innovative skater/dancers. <P>Seeing one of his productions was like looking through a magic window into someone else's imagination. And what a marvelous imagination he has!!<P>Here are some interesting sites on line about him:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.tollercranston.com/" TARGET=_blank><B>TOLLER CRANSTON</B></A><P><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=%22Toller+Cranston%22&spell=1" TARGET=_blank><B>GOOGLE SEARCH - TOLLER CRANSTON</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 4:37 pm 

Thanks, Basheva. I've been to the gallery page before. I got one of his prints for my birthday a couple years ago, and I'm hoping for the scarf this year. Image<P>

Profile E-mail