public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Our Open Policy on Promoting Other Sites, Borrowing News
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:03 am 

As a reminder to anyone who feels they are receiving unsolicited email from having their email address posted on their profile on criticaldance.com, you can update your profile on the upper right-hand side of the window where it says "my profile". You can also change signatures etc. - a handy tool!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:13 am 

I would rather not watch us turn into a board full of people unwilling to give out e-mail addresses. At the very least, provide a Hotmail account or something (I believe this is OK, as long as the moderators have your real email).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:56 pm 

Katharine - Just a couple of comments. First clearly you have passionate opinions about dance, as do many of the members on this site, some of whom have danced for 20 years. Also, judging from the creation of your site, and your bilingualism, you clearly are quite bright and creative yourself - surely you can find a way to express your opinions within the context of this site?
I would have to say, that I personally found nothing on your site particularily offensive to ME, and I know that several of the active members here, some whom have danced for 20+ years would not be that upset by your opinions and or interviews, though they likely would disagree with those views.
However, the moderators here are not just creating a virtual space for hardened intellectual dualists, but also a place where young thirteen year olds can come and get advice and ask questions, and I would challenge you to tell me whether you feel that your opinions can be adequately weighed and considered by a thirteen year old just starting out in their journey. They just can't.
Look, if you are concerned about ballet being to focused now on atheletic tricks that fine - open up a thread on this so we can discuss it reasonably and vigourously, but please use your considerable talents to bring these arguments to bear in the context of all of our members. Believe it or not, we are not all Jacobians!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:55 pm 

Matthew, what's a Jacobian? When I was in school, I learned it's a particular kind of matrix you learn about in math class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:46 am 

Sorry - a typo. Jacobin/ French revolution/the terror ..... Generally I think we are a pretty friendly bunch!
Lets try this out:

CGJ Jacobi " Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself"

Azlan: " Dance is the art of what is clear by itself".

:)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:51 pm 

I hate to say this, but I am afraid that between Jacobins, the French revolution, Jacobian matrixes, Nietzsche, etc, I think that we may have scared Katharine away, which is a shame because she I think she knows a heck of a lot about dance, and probably could offer us all some insight to 19th century opinions/views on dance and in particular the French perspective on dance.
At least from me, Katharine, I am sorry if we upset you, and I hope you feel comfortable joining our debates. Sorry if we were a little hard on you! :)
( Trust me, just don't discuss what your opinion is on when dancers should retire, then you will really get crucified! ;) )!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:24 pm 

Hi,

This is just a note to say that we have had to adopt a copyright policy to protect original contributions by writers and photographers to CriticalDance and the magazine Ballet-Dance Monthly BDm. See the notice at:

http://www.criticaldance.com/copyright

Profile E-mail