public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: February/March front page photo.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 8:53 am 

We're into the new front page photo process. Here is a reminder of the the system, especially the type of photos that we need on the site.<P>The initial nomination period runs for two weeks, until 15th January. I have put up some images that we have gathered over the past couple of months. But please 'pin up' other ones here as well. It would be nice to have a ballet one this month, but not if we can't one that really satisfies us all. I have to say I am beginning to wonder if there are more top quality non-ballet dance images than ballet ones.<P>Over to you folks!<P>THE PHOTO SELECTION SYSTEM<P>1) The new system to provide a new image every 2 months.<P>2) The CD Administrators, currently Susan, Azlan and Stuart, make sure that the process is carried out every two months.<P>3) In the early part of month of the new selection period, a message goes on the board asking for suggestions and comments from members, Moderators and Administrators, with a defined deadline, ususally around the 15th of the month. Only images where the Company is identified are eligable. <P>4) At the end of the nomination period, the Administrators review the suggestions and the comments and set up a new topic giving the 2-4 numbered images which, in the view of the site Administrators, most closely meet the requirements of the site. 5-7 days will then be allowed for voting. At the end of the defined period, votes are counted and the winning and second place (in case we can't get permission for the first) images announced.<P>5) the Administrators then seek permission for the use of the image and carry out the site mechanics to put it on the front page.<P>PHOTO SELECTION CRITERIA<P>1. excellent professional quality photograph, in terms of focus, composition, reproduction, etc. - because the quality of the photo reflects on the quality of our overall site - 'first impressions' and all that! The shape of the photo to be clearly portrait not landscape, to ensure that it fits on our front page.<P>2. 'welcoming' image - to encourage, not discourage visitors<P>3. different genre than last month's (i.e. if ballet last month, not ballet this month)<P>4. different gender than last month (hopefully i don't need to explain that one!)<P>5. different colouring than last month's (if last month was predominantly red, this month's ought not to be)<P>6. permission needs to be easily obtainable OR the picture in the public domain OR to be currently in use as part of a promotion, in such a way as to lead to a fair conclusion that it may be used to assist that dancer's/company's publicity campaign.<P>7. credits of both subject and photographer need to be readily available<P>#1, 2, 6, and 7 are the most important things.<P>#3,4 & 5 are only 'ideals' not 'musts'.<P> Image <P><I>Julianne Kepley in Rapture</I><P> Image <P>Washington Ballet 'Jazz' (?)<P> Image <P>'La Ronde' choreographed by Glen Tetley, Ronda Nychka and John Alleyne, NBoC Photo:John Wong<P> Image 'The Velveteen Rabbit' by K T Nelson for ODC/SF Photo RJ Muna<P> Image <P>Dance Theater of Harlam

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: February/March front page photo.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 7:59 pm 

I vote for the KT Nelson photo. Red for Valentines Day,and March Hare? Not crazy for the Kaori pic, or the Atlanta Ballet photo. The girl in the attitude ponche must have a great chiropractor, wow!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 6:12 am 

How about the haunting photograph of Tanaquil LeClerq posted in ballet? A tribute to this beautiful dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 6:21 am 

That's a great idea, Maggie. <P>Stuart adds: As always ladies, your wish is my command. Here is the image,<P> Image <P>Just to remind everyone, we are in the nomination phase, which is open format. After the 15th, we will select 2-4 images for everyone to vote on.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 02, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:22 am 

Image <P>This, as yet, unidentified picture from the new Australian Ballet site is neat-o, in my view.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 7:20 am 

That is a great picture Stuart. I also liked the one that you posted in:<P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000628.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000628.html</A> <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:23 am 

I wonder in SAB, Miami City Ballet or Ballet West have a nice picture of Laurel Foster

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:31 am 

My vote is for the Tanaquil Le Clercq photo. <P>Thank you! <BR>D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 2:45 pm 

Just to say where we are. There seems to be a lot of people who would like to see Tanaquil Leclercq on the front page and if we can get approvals that is what I would like to do and bypass the selection process due to the special circumstances. The other current images would be held over till April/May.<P>The problem is that for the image I used in 'Ballet' i have been unable to find the 'Granger collection' who were credited with the image.<P>I have been in contact with two departments at NYCB and hope to get a suitable image from them. So if it's OK with you all, let's wait a bit longer to see if this works. <p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited January 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2001 9:29 am 

As you may have seen already we have gone with the Leclercq photo for the front page and very lovely it looks IMO.<P>We'll revisit the next photo at our leisure using the terrific images that people have contributed above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2001 9:50 am 

Tanaquil-Beautiful choice!! Question for the future---I guess the Lois Greenfield modern photos are not in the public domain? (she does those cool dance calendars...done a lot of photos of Momix and David Parsons). Those would be neat, but I don't think they fit into our criteria because of legal/copywright issues.

Profile E-mail